People with young leopards: how early do they go to bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Specifically young leopards in humid enclosures.

After keeping reptiles for many years, I've noticed that during winter months they're not as active. It's almost as if they can sense the weather outside, even if their indoor temps haven't changed.

My leopard has a "bed" in the humid end of the enclosure where it nestles down for the night. Once it goes there, I know it's not coming back out until morning. It seems to be going to bed earlier and earlier. It used to be around 4 pm. Then around 2 pm. Today, it was in bed by noon.

It's still eating, although not quite as much, and looks healthy, but is wanting to sleep more and more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I got mine in May of 2011, he has never gone to sleep and stayed there that early. They, young ones, do sleep a lot. Mine does seem to eat less in winter most of the days. Some days he eats a lot. Mine has always since I got him pretty much settled down for the night anywhere between 4-5. I usually soak mine between 2-4 and sometimes even not until 5-6. He gets re-energized after a soak and always wants to eat some more. I suggest you do a double check on all temps, just to make sure. Then I would keep a closer eye and ear on him to make sure it's not just a lazy day. Just to be on the safe side.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My yearling Leopard does the same thing (bed's down in humid hide for the night) and he also goes to sleep earlier in the winter. But I would say he's asleep from around 5-ish to about 6am which is when the lights his lights come back on.

How quickly did your tort go from a 4pm bed time to a 12pm bed time, and has anything changed that may have contributed to this?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I always soak mine in the morning around 7:30. He'll poop, then immediately eat once returned, then bask.

Maybe a second soaking later in the day is in order. It has been in the lower 20's here for the past week or so. Not sure if it's sensing the temps outside or what.

CtTortoiseMom said:
My yearling Leopard does the same thing (bed's down in humid hide for the night) and he also goes to sleep earlier in the winter. But I would say he's asleep from around 5-ish to about 6am which is when the lights his lights come back on.

How quickly did your tort go from a 4pm bed time to a 12pm bed time, and has anything changed that may have contributed to this?

Actually today is the first day I saw it go to bed at noon. It had the normal soak in the morning, ate almost all the Mazuri (gave three pieces and it left a little...can't tell how much green it ate), then when I checked back in it was in bed.

It's even warmer today. 37 outside and 70 inside. Nothing has changed in the enclosure.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Hm, I have 2 and they differ.
Jeff only comes out to eat, 1hour bask, then goes to sleep,then eats again and goes back to sleep at 4 latest. Sometimes he won't come out to eat a second time
Hal is a bit more of a late night guy and goes to bed between 5-6 pm.
Sometimes I catch him running around as late as 7pm,haha.

Edit: I am sorry..I just realised my answer was not helpful at all, so let me specify:
Jeff sometimes goes into the hide at 2pm and does not come out until the next morning.
:tort::tort:

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
My Lights come on at 6:30am.... both are awake if not moving around by 6:45am. Lights go out at 7:30pm... somtimes they are awake, sometimes already asleep. I havent noticed any change in eating habits all year.

Note; all lights and heating are set up on timers and thermostats, and food is set out for them all day long.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Zamric said:
My Lights come on at 6:30am.... both are awake if not moving around by 6:45am. Lights go out at 7:30pm... somtimes they are awake, sometimes already asleep. I havent noticed any change in eating habits all year.

Note; all lights and heating are set up on timers and thermostats, and food is set out for them all day long.

I'm not familiar with Garland Texas weather, but we've had a cold snap here recently. Below freezing outside.

Again I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. I know when I had my Uromastyx it would sometimes stay in its hide all day long during winter, even though it had normal enclosure temps. Then when spring arrived, it would be climbing the walls trying to get out.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock is another story! He is outside 24/7 and during the winters he slows WAY down. He wont' eat or come outside for weeks.... unless he needs a UV fix, then he will drag himself out of his heated bunker and endure the cold to get the UVs! You can tell by the look on his face if he is doing it because he want to come out and move around or if he is doing it strickly for the Sunshine.

tildatron

5 Year Member
Tilda usually stays up until around 7-ish, but there have been a few grey, cold days here lately where she crawls into her sleeping bag around 4 and doesn't stir until morning. I figure she understands her circadian rhythms pretty well so I let her sleep. There have also been a couple mornings recently where she hasn't wanted to get out of bed!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tortus said:
I always soak mine in the morning around 7:30. He'll poop, then immediately eat once returned, then bask.

Maybe a second soaking later in the day is in order. It has been in the lower 20's here for the past week or so. Not sure if it's sensing the temps outside or what.

CtTortoiseMom said:

Actually today is the first day I saw it go to bed at noon. It had the normal soak in the morning, ate almost all the Mazuri (gave three pieces and it left a little...can't tell how much green it ate), then when I checked back in it was in bed.

It's even warmer today. 37 outside and 70 inside. Nothing has changed in the enclosure.

I think noting the pattern change is great. It could be nothing or it could be something. I would just watch him more closely for awhile to make sure this isn't the beginning of him becoming less active and more lethargic. Good luck and keep us posted!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i noticed my tort going to bed early as well. i added another light because there was a dark corner and she's a little more active. i also feed her twice a day; first around 7am then again at like 4pm and that keeps her up til like 6 :) although i sometimes have to put her in front of her food but once i do she chows haha.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Mine sleeps either on or under a log for most of the day. If she's under it when her light goes off (6pm in winter) thats where she'll stay. But otherwise she'll move to the cool end between 4-5pm and bed down for the night. In the summer she's definitely more active! Barely moves around out of her enclosure nowadays.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Chance seems to vary pretty widely. He gets a soak and some food in the morning-ish. Then will bask and sleep the day away, then he gets a little more frisky toward the evening when he eats again. Usually to sleep around 8 or so, but that is usually when I stop watching him. Have no idea if hes up at all at night.
Just as a reminder, even the best uv bulbs start to diminish around 6 months. It might be wise to check when they were installed just to make sure it is not a lack of uv making him sluggish.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
I just got an 8month GPP and he also sleeps a LOT seems around 15 hours a day or more ..but I see people on here saying the hatchling sleep a lot

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
GeoGpp1012 said:
I just got an 8month GPP and he also sleeps a LOT seems around 15 hours a day or more ..but I see people on here saying the hatchling sleep a lot

Seems from your avatar you have the same tortoise box, substrate and set-up as me :p he looks very snuggly in the pic! Cute.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Yes I think it's great yet I removed the hide insert and made a humid hide and dry hide of my own ....made it bigger...learned so much from all of you on here

Status
Not open for further replies.