Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371230130.457728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371230145.532086.jpg

Haha hit send too early

My pen has been growing a ton lately, they can't do enough damage to it to even dent the growth haha

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371230214.142529.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371230332.739448.jpg

Can the growth be too tall for them? I doubt it but its like 2-3x as tall as they are pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Excellent!

I found that my Russians really liked the new growth (can you say lawnmower?), but once the weeds grew tall, they don't eat them as much, just nibble here and there.

One option is to simply cut the growth down to, say,1- 2", in certain patches and it will regrow. Keep doing this in cycles.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Pen growth update

lynnedit said:
One option is to simply cut the growth down to, say,1- 2", in certain patches and it will regrow. Keep doing this in cycles.

I do this in both my pens. Once a week I trim a small section and do a different section each week.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
That's a good idea, I will have to trim part down tomorrow. Should I trim down to the ground or just like 1/2 way?

I'm also going to get a bunch of slate to put in, now that I know the sun patterns better I want to add a few more basking spots, plus some sort of logs for hides and the like. But this will be piece by piece for the next few weeks.

Hah, down to 1-2 inches, I see that now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The process of fine tuning and improving things is one of my favorite aspects of tortoise care. I am constantly looking for ways to improve everything.

I love your enclosure and I think all your ideas are great. I love it when tortoises have their own little mini forests.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So I have 40 lbs of river rocks sitting in my house gathering dust, I don't see why I can't but I am asking to be sure, I can put piles of these in the places I would put slate and it will give the same basking spot effect right? The rocks are too big to be eaten as well.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Alright so I trimmed a few paths through their forest, and I added some slate and some river rocks for basking areas and digging prevention.

Her side
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371523000.849415.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371523028.605885.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371523096.813045.jpg
She was already in her hide, and by already I mean still as it had been a few days since she last came out. Hopefully the trimming and the rock I put right in front of her hide will persuade her to explore tomorrow.

His side

Apparently the app doesn't want to load any more pictures, an would only load the others as small size, so you'll have to wait to see his side until the app allows me to post pictures again...

I even uninstalled and then reinstalled the app and I still can't load pics so you don't get to see his side for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
null_zps70c9d0a9.jpg

I figured out how to use photobucket with my phone, so now I can post images again, here are some growth updates and some changes I made that had a great response.

She went from hiding constantly to exploring and eating, and he went from pacing to exploring.

null_zps7adebf33.jpg

null_zpsf23dd2fe.jpg

null_zps2e298c2d.jpg

null_zps92177f9a.jpg

null_zps3a97946e.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
yep, that's the way to do it! Tweak, modify. I like the basking areas. Yes, if you still want to, you can use river rock. I like to place them next to a basking stone as they like to bask 'at a slant', to catch the early am or later pm rays.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
null_zpsc67a5f55.jpg

null_zps0c920c7e.jpg

null_zpsf2ca9e7a.jpg

null_zps355932c8.jpg

null_zps4afe849f.jpg

null_zpse1440314.jpg

null_zpsb33eefee.jpg

null_zpsa6bd5fe9.jpg

The last pic is all the trimmings from cutting the paths it was enough to feed all 5 of my torts for 2 days haha.

I put the river rocks in he uses them, she pushes them around haha.

These are the changes they made on their own since mine. As soon as they realized they could go through the forest they have been exploring a ton.

null_zpsd8c6dfc5.jpg

null_zpsf2875a77.jpg

That is tamachan

null_zps2a2eec48.jpg

null_zps5e121cc1.jpg

And that is master roshi

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Adorable! And those baby weed sprouts are their favorites. You'll be amazed at how the growth recovers.

bpham93

5 Year Member
Wow that looks great! what kind of plant is that? i'm looking for something to substitute for grass, and that looks like the perfect plant for it. :D

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
It's a mixture of Chia, crimson clover, white clover, plantain, turnip greens, chicory, and dandelion. It's been growing for about 2 months now.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Holy crap! Surrounded by food! Bet you have one happy tort there!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Not just one but two happy torts! She was reluctant to explore but now that she knows she can move through the growth she has been all over the place eating everything, just like he does.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Here is some more pics from this afternoon, while they were basking.
Both of them like to bask on the slate just outside their favorite hides.

null_zps3caff1a2.jpg

null_zpsba8f0d98.jpg

null_zps0be2b850.jpg

null_zpscec62156.jpg

null_zpsa33dd997.jpg

The plants on top of their buried hides have all pretty much died, I'm pretty sure it gets really hot inside that hide because those plants get watered daily and look almost fried or burnt. They both bask on top a lot and she always uses that hide so I'm not worried and there is enough other growth that it doesn't matter haha.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love what looks to me like a head of lettuce/greens surrounded by all the smaller leaved plants.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Jacqui said:
I love what looks to me like a head of lettuce/greens surrounded by all the smaller leaved plants.

Haha yes it is, I planted 1x butter lettuce, 1x green leaf, 1x romaine and 2x redleaf heads on each side, everyone died except the butter lettuce which thrived and are actually pretty huge now.

Status
Not open for further replies.