Peeked in the incubator....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimoxo

5 Year Member
I think it IS albino. Haha, it looks pretty cute, is it moving?

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendora, CA
Speaking of babies . . . do YOU have a new baby boy yet? Did I miss the post?
And those Sulcata babies!?! That's what the phrase "cute as a button" was created for!:p

Sandy

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Glad you all like them. They're still not completely out of the eggs, but we're not hurrying them. I'm leaving for Sacramento for the show this weekend in the early morning, so my wife is in charge of them for the weekend. We've been so busy lately with tortoises and kids and the land plus my 40 hour work week and back to back to back shows, things are crazy here. It's almost more relaxing to go to the shows than to stay home anymore.... At least by 5PM, the show is over and I can relax. I don't get to relax at home.

We don't have a new Stewart baby yet. Probably in about 2 weeks. She was due Oct 7th, but they measured her the other day and they think the boy is at least 7 pounds at this point, so it's probably soon. In the meantime, I have a show to attend!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Tyler, Oct. 7 th is my wifes due date also! Thats pretty cool! Congrats...

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Update

So it looks like at this point, two albinos are out of the egg, 6 normal appearing babies (for a statistical 25%), and about 7 eggs to go. I'm kinda starting to doubt that many more will hatch. This female had pretty low hatch rates last year, so it's somewhat expected (she's young, and it will improve). I got the vermiculite mostly cleaned off of them, and they couldn't be more perfect. Perfect scutes, active and eating well already. Here's some new photos I took today:
AlbinoSpur.jpg

AlbinoSpur2.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man those are cool. Are you gonna get 'em some sun glasses?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Man, that's the question of the year.... I've been discussing it with a lot of tortoise people, the best way to protect the eyes, and we have some ideas I'm going to work with. I think my current plan is to raise them up at least a year from now with their siblings and just play it by ear. I'm in no hurry to do anything significant with them besides keep them healthy and smooth.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'm more into the low-maintenance type of pyramiding prevention, though. I'm not around enough to mist them 4 times a day!

S

Scooter

Tyler, they are magnificent! Congratulations, can't wait to see more pics of them!

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
They are too cute. Great Pics. This is all kinda confusing to me so would that make the other hatchlings HET's?

John1982

5 Year Member
Congratulations Tyler, I'd be pretty psyched at just a normal hatching but would probably die on the spot if I saw something like that!

shmily1605 said:
They are too cute. Great Pics. This is all kinda confusing to me so would that make the other hatchlings HET's?

het x het I think averages out to 25% homozygous(in this case albino), 25% normal, 50% heterozygous.. so all normal looking animals in a het x het pairing would be 66% possible heterozygous?? I think that's right but still get confused with all this genetics stuff.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
John1982 said:
het x het I think averages out to 25% homozygous(in this case albino), 25% normal, 50% heterozygous.. so all normal looking animals in a het x het pairing would be 66% possible heterozygous?? I think that's right but still get confused with all this genetics stuff.

From what I understand, that is correct. I'm also not big into the genetics stuff, but that's what I've been told by a few other people. The normal appearing babies would have a 66% chance of being hets, and a 33% chance of being nothing at all, genetically.

It looks like only 8 of the eggs in the clutch are going to hatch, so there's 2 albinos and 6 "others."

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad everyone likes them. Now if I could only make up my mind what to do with them....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No pressure but I saw an albino sulc being offered at 5500$, a year or two ago, now I don't know if they got that price or not, but that is what they wanted,

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'll tell ya what.... Just go ahead and PayPal me a nice even $4,500, and we'll call it good. ;)

There's one on Kingsnake for $2500 right now, and a bigger (pyramided) one for $4450, probably a year old. I don't think either person produced them, though. I still think I would do better in a trade, since I don't think many people are going to want to pay that much in cash for a baby tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.