Peeing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh21

5 Year Member
So every time I pick up my tortoise to hold him he pees in my hand his been doing that for a while now.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its a defensive thing they do. You are a very scary monster/predator. And they are hoping that by peeing, you will let them go.
In time this should stop...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like was said, it's a natural defensive move. Are you being sure your not scaring him when you go to pick him up? That he knows it's just you. Then are you holding him so he can feel as secure as possible? When he pees on you, are you giving him positive reinforcement for his peeing on you and let him go or do you hold him for a bit?

josh21

5 Year Member
I been picking him up since I got him 4 month ago and I been picking him up like every day with both hands and safe but he still does it and some times I have a hand towel for him to pick him up

Urtle

5 Year Member
josh21 said:
I been picking him up since I got him 4 month ago and I been picking him up like every day with both hands and safe but he still does it and some times I have a hand towel for him to pick him up

Mine does this as well, she is about 3 months old. I wish she would be more relaxed when i go to pick her up but because I don't handle her too much I think she isn't too used to it.

What can I do for her to get comfortable with me?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just be patient, most outgrow this stage.... and keep the towel handy. :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
As the others said, likely the little one is just startled....when you walk with him to you stroll at your regular pace or do you slow down to closer match tort speed? (lol, I know that sounds silly---buuuuttttt?):p

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
ascott said:
As the others said, likely the little one is just startled....when you walk with him to you stroll at your regular pace or do you slow down to closer match tort speed? (lol, I know that sounds silly---buuuuttttt?):p

Smart!
I usually hold my tortsie in both hands, facing out from me. I find she sticks her head out and looks around versus hiding. She still hates being handled but obviously transporting her outside & soaks can't be avoided! Today was the first time she peed on me, broke my heart! I had her facing me and was speaking softly- I calmly put her in her enclosure (this happened while drying her after her soak.)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Remember, often times the last thing a tortoise sees of a predator is the face! What I've found works good to socialize a reluctant tortoise is to have a dandelion flower ready to show when I poke my scary face at the edge of the inclosure, then the association between me and something that wants to eat it is diminished. They come running when they see you. And as an added bonus, they don't pee on you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Smart!
I usually hold my tortsie in both hands, facing out from me. I find she sticks her head out and looks around versus hiding. She still hates being handled but obviously transporting her outside & soaks can't be avoided! Today was the first time she peed on me, broke my heart! I had her facing me and was speaking softly- I calmly put her in her enclosure (this happened while drying her after her soak.)

You can also transport by using a container....container/basket appropriate for your torts size....this allows them to plant their feet on something and feel a bit more secure as well as protects you from being the potty target....lol....and again, quick abrupt super human speed can freak them out....:D

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I also use a container to hold mine in when I take them outside, put them in for soaks, etc but mine also pee on me :( Is yours still peeing?

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
lovelyrosepetal said:
I also use a container to hold mine in when I take them outside, put them in for soaks, etc but mine also pee on me :( Is yours still peeing?

I still do that but it has become less frequent and I have had him for 3 months

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
When taking my Russian herd out, I use a plastic storage tote. This is more because I'm lazy than anything else. One trip verses five. With the sulcatas I hand carry for now. But Fred, the largest, is only 11lbs. While I carry him, I put one of my fingers against the bottom of a front foot and push. I don't know that this does anything for him, but he's never peed or crapped on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.