Peanut tries to eat EVERYTHING

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
He puts his beak on everything he comes into contact with. The deck, spots (discoloration) on the deck, containers, my sons toys, my nails, my pants, essentially everything. I would have assumed that after a couple attempts to bite into something and then realizing it's not food he would stop. He does not. Normal behavior or is he just viscous? LOL

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505854013.238345.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's just vicious LOL. When I got my first leopard, as a hatchling, he was the same way. Well not quite as testing as yours, but would test a lot of things. It can be a good thing and a bad thing. Just be cautious that he doesn't test anything that could hurt him.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
He's just vicious LOL. When I got my first leopard, as a hatchling, he was the same way. Well not quite as testing as yours, but would test a lot of things. It can be a good thing and a bad thing. Just be cautious that he doesn't test anything that could hurt him.

I figured he was just viscous. Haha. Well, hopefully he'll grow out of it. For his sake and everyone else's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they are under those coil bulbs, it can give them what's been referred to as "snow blindness". Hopefully this condition is temporary, but because they can't see well, they test everything with their mouth.

If he's attempting to eat things, it could be due to a lack of fiber, lack of calcium, or mineral imbalance in the diet. All three of these things are common in tortoises that are fed a lot of grocery store greens, and not enough of the grass, weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents that they should be eating. The solution is to feed them the right stuff, and supplementing with some "MinerAll" usually helps too. "MinerAll" is made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms. It is a balanced mineral supplement, and you can order it online. To be clear, this is not necessarily a calcium issue. In fact, adding calcium can make things further unbalanced and make the problem worse.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
When they are under those coil bulbs, it can give them what's been referred to as "snow blindness". Hopefully this condition is temporary, but because they can't see well, they test everything with their mouth.

If he's attempting to eat things, it could be due to a lack of fiber, lack of calcium, or mineral imbalance in the diet. All three of these things are common in tortoises that are fed a lot of grocery store greens, and not enough of the grass, weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents that they should be eating. The solution is to feed them the right stuff, and supplementing with some "MinerAll" usually helps too. "MinerAll" is made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms. It is a balanced mineral supplement, and you can order it online. To be clear, this is not necessarily a calcium issue. In fact, adding calcium can make things further unbalanced and make the problem worse.

Alright... so..... geez. :(

The more and more I'm learning about this guy the more and more pissed off I'm getting.

I will order the MinerAll. I see that it's a calcium/mineral supplement. So stop the Repashy SuperVeggie and switch to this?