Parasite eggs or just pollen?

rowanzdz

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know what this could be? Found in a fecal sample. Last week I found tons of (I think) pin worms (teeny tiny whitish clear moving worms) all over a fresh stool sample from my 13 yr old male red foot. In this sample there weren’t any visible worms, however. Could it be an egg, or is it just pollen?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 7.44.47 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 7.44.47 PM.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would 100% not worry about it.
Even a positive ID for parasite eggs is far more normal and less a concern than most people are aware.
I'll let you in on an amusing fact: When I was getting into Redfoot. Probably 30 years ago...Before this forum or internet as we know it, I purchased a really nice Japanese microscope and glass slides and I obsessed over any poop that I thought looked even a little abnormal. I used to use old books or any photos I could find to try to determine what if anything I had to compare what I saw.
I did find a few parasites. Roundworms mostly.
Back then, when I saw Roundworms. Even just one, I'd get some Panacur and mix some up in a batch of MAZURI and quarantine that tortoise into my old hospital pen (that I also no longer have)
After years of this, I eventually realized and then it was confirmed about 10 years ago when I found this forum that parasites are pretty normal. And a healthy tortoise is in no danger with a few of them. Virtually all wild caught tortoises have them. And most farmed ones seem to as well.
Relax. But stay vigilant.
Parasites like Roundworms are easily and effectively treated. But it has side effects for the tortoise that may be more dangerous and are usually a lot more stressful for the tortoise. And (in my opinion) are usually not even necessary.
If you see several live adult worms in any single poop, I'd consider treating.
But if you see an egg or three. (And I'm not sure that's an egg in your photo,) it's just part of the life cycle of that parasite. And if your tortoise is eating and acting normally, he's fine and requires no intervention