Not open for further replies.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
I've had Noah 2 days and every little thing he does I get paranoid about:
Staying in one place
Not eating
Not drinking
Head lay out whilst sleeping
I have now realised that is how some torts like to sleep, also he probably isn't settled, just getting used to a new environment, or missing company from the pet shop

I wanted to know what your guys first experiences were like when you had your tortoises
( by the way he is the first tortoise I have ever had )

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Exactly the same :) you will soon get to know him and what's normal for him. The fact that you are over worrying just says to me that you are keen to make him happy and get things right for him. After he settles in and you gain his trust you will see his personality bloom :)
Good luck and enjoy!
Also if your worried about anything just ask, we've all been there, heck I still post daft questions but you'd be surprised at the useful answers you can find just by asking :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Lol, welcome to the wonderful world of owning a tortoise! Paranoia is par for the course :)

You've only had your tortoise for 2 days? Give him/her time to settle in. Some tortoises are more sensitive to change than others and will take 1-2 weeks to start eating/moving around/acclimating fully to their new environment.

Set a routine (bath/feeding/light timers) and try to minimize how much you disturb your tortoise for a bit...like little kids, tortoises like routine, and he/she will start to feel more comfortable!

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
Thank you I thought it was just me, my mom says he has an attitude because he is very sensitive to heat but the little kids may be a problem my sister is 4:) so far to most I have seen of him is his bumImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1378198201.600922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I was the exact same way! You will get used to his ways! :)

When my little 2 yr old cousin visits, she never comes out!!
:)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Lol, cute pic!

Make sure you give your tort somewhere to hide (I use empty tissue boxes, but you can buy something at the pet store too)! It looks like he's trying to find a secure spot. It can help a tortoise feel safer :)

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
He has a hideout but doesn't really move from that corner and it stops the heat getting to him and he is soooooo sensitive to heat if he's not warm enough that corner is the only place he will go ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1378204754.469915.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Oh good! Most times my tortoise does not use his hide, but it should always be an optin.

What are your temps at? Do you have a warm and cool side so he can self-regulate?

Also, you should add a couple plants! It looks nice, and will make him feel less like he's in a fishbowl :)

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
I've had him 3 days so the inclosure isn't properly finish yet , I only have one thermometer because it came in the starter kit it's in the cool end and reads about 26/26* centigrade:)

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Are you using a red spot bulb? If you are it's best to switch to a normal white light bulb. I buy mine at the pet store but I've heard of people just using household ones as long as it keeps your temp right :) just don't use coil ones.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Buy a temperature gun so you can check temperatures in all areas of his enclosure. If he can have a basking spot around 95 F and a cool side 75 F or even lower, he'll be able to choose where to go for self regulation of his internal temperature.

If he's spending all day directly under the basking spot the check to see if your temps are warm enough. he should move in and out of the warm spot to self regulate or mine will pick a spot at the edge of the basking area and snooze for a while.

Good luck.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
This may wound bad but I've had him 3 days and his my first tort but I've read and been told loads about tort car but what is basking?

tortoisesarecute

5 Year Member
I've also been wondering that someone help me out here

Btw ilovetorts what species is your tortoise it's huge!

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
He's Russian and only 3 I thought he was quite small really my picture is really close up this is another pic in his vivarium to show you his real size :):):)):) ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1378275167.465752.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1378275194.714777.jpg
Also the box he was in was so small not really much bigger than him

mikeh

5 Year Member
Basking occurs under the heat source, tort uses this source to warm up to daytime operating temperature, after lower night temp. In your case this basking source is the suspended bulb. If you have it set up correctly the tort should walk to the vicinity(under) of the bulb after is it wakes up and stay there for period of time, often with feet stretched out. Get a digital thermometer and adjust the height of the bulb to achieve the correct basking temp under the bulb for your specific species.

I'll mention again that your UVB light (if it is one, if not you need to get one) should be above the tort, not on the side facing animals eyes.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

laclone

5 Year Member
Collegeville, PA.
I too am a beginning Tort care-giver, and have also gone through this.

You've been reading and studying so much information lately, in such a short time, that you get to the point that you're so afraid that anything you do will hurt will hurt him, that you end up doing nothing.

You'll get through this.

Deep breath now, and get back to the basics. You know what he requires. Simply provide them and he'll do well. Russian's (and all Torts) are very hardy creatures, otherwise they would not have survived longer than humans have.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think he is just settling in so don't worry too much, he is just trying to find somewhere he feels safe, he will soon venture out. One of mines went on hunger strike for over a month when I got her, she is slowly coming round but still hides a lot but because I know with the other two she will get there in her own time just like yours :)
I look at basking being like sunbathing.
If your strip bulb has UVB it looks fine IMO, for the heat(basking) bulb just try a few different wattage house hold bulbs or pet store ones till you get the temps right. It sometimes takes a bit of fiddling about but you will get it :)
Those hand held temp guns are great for us worriers by the way, lots of different types on amazon etc.

DisTortoiseDoe

5 Year Member
New russian tortoise owner here too, yeah I felt/STILL feel the same! If you're really concerned, take them to get a vet check. I just took my boy in and after an examination and a poo test, they found him to be healthy and even trimmed his beak for me. It made me feel so much better. I would suggest you do the same if you're REALLY concerned :)!

---
My Russian tortoise, Duncan, is the biggest cutie patootie <3

Status
Not open for further replies.