Russian Hatchling Urates and Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
My 4 month old Russian drank for the first time since I got him (only had his for about a week) and he immediately passed a small pile of urates. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I can't seem to find any reliable info. I have a 2 year old Sulcata who has never passed urates so idk what to think. Also, my Russian appears to be shedding near his head and neck. IS this normal?
I am new to owning a Russian and have not had a hatchling in years so I am definitely a paranoid tortoise mommy :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The Russian looks like he may be a bit dry. I know you just got him, but did the owner before do soaks and keep humidity up in his enclosure or hide? Are you doing those things?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
How cute that you get to raise a baby Russian! :)

Passing urates is normal, they are a by-product of protein metabolism. As long as your RT is hydrated (aka daily soaking in warm water), they should have more of a pasty consistency, but if it is somewhat dehydrated form transport etc, the urates can get pretty hard (and harder to pass!).

The skin of tortoises does shed. No need to pick off any loose skin... it will come off on its own. You may need to increase the humidity in the enclosure - keep in mind that warm and humid is good, cold and humid is not.

SmileyKylie623 said:
My 4 month old Russian drank for the first time since I got him (only had his for about a week) and he immediately passed a small pile of urates. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I can't seem to find any reliable info. I have a 2 year old Sulcata who has never passed urates so idk what to think. Also, my Russian appears to be shedding near his head and neck. IS this normal?
I am new to owning a Russian and have not had a hatchling in years so I am definitely a paranoid tortoise mommy :p

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey all! Thanks for the quick responses! I assume that the guy I got him from soaked him, kept him in a humid environment, and took proper care of him only because he is a reputable tortoise breeder here in Arizona. I have been soaking him everyday since I got him and I spray down parts of his enclosure twice a day but living in AZ its hard to keep in moist. I am currently using this coconut coir bedding that says it holds moisture but I don't think it's doing the trick. Right now the meter says the humidity is at 42%. Is that too low?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's just fine. Russian tortoises don't need as much humidity in their habitat as leopards and sulcatas do.

Status
Not open for further replies.