Pansies, petunias and hibernation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
i would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has advised nd helped me here so far, I've had my baby hermanns for one week now and I've adjusted so many things thanks to you peeps, I've bought some pansy plants, but i need to know can he have the flowers as well as the leaves? the same question for petunias also... im gonna plant a big tub with weeds..lol I've spent years getting rid of these buglers now im getting rid of flowers and growing weeds, also, I've decided not to try to hibernate him, will this harm him in any way??? he is not even i yr old yet so i dont want to take any chances im not confident enough.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: thanks

l4dyamethyst2011 said:
i would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has advised nd helped me here so far, I've had my baby hermanns for one week now and I've adjusted so many things thanks to you peeps, I've bought some pansy plants, but i need to know can he have the flowers as well as the leaves? the same question for petunias also... im gonna plant a big tub with weeds..lol I've spent years getting rid of these buglers now im getting rid of flowers and growing weeds, also, I've decided not to try to hibernate him, will this harm him in any way??? he is not even i yr old yet so i dont want to take any chances im not confident enough.

Would you like to make this into a new thread and get more answers? For the record, yes the plant and the blooms are both safe to eat (if no fertilizer or chemicals have been used on them). Not hibernating is not thought to create any problems as far as we can tell so far. Plus usually folks do not hibernate such young ones. :tort:

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
RE: thanks

I would love to make that a new thread but dont know how to, could you please advise...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I split this off the intro thread for you. To start a new thread go to a major section area...such as in here, it would be the Hermann tortoise section. Just above all the threads in that section, on the right hand side is a green button that says "New Topic". Press that and you can then create your own thread. Is that as clear as mud? :D

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
Yep as clear as mud...lol but saying that after a few wrong turns I finally found my thread and following your directions again a few wrong turns by me and I found how to make new topic too so thanks and huge hugs for being sooo patient with me.. I just wanna do what's best for my baby, omg I've had two kids and I was never this nervous or unsure.... Xxxxx

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
In captivity there is no real reason to hibernate a tortoise, especially a young tortoise. They must do so in the wild in order to escape adverse weather conditions and lack of food during the winter. In captivity they can simply be kept awake and active indoors throughout those cold periods.

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest. I feel happier now. I weighed him this morning, I've had him 1 week and he hasn't put on any weight or grown, he's the same weight and length as last Sunday when I got him, I take it growth and weight gain are a slow thing with tortoises, I'm still going to weigh and measure him every week for now... Or should I just do it every month.. Oooooh I don't wanna stress about it but I also don't want to leave something til it's too late. Thoughts please.... Thanks in advance peeps. Xxx

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
l4dyamethyst2011 said:
Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest. I feel happier now. I weighed him this morning, I've had him 1 week and he hasn't put on any weight or grown, he's the same weight and length as last Sunday when I got him, I take it growth and weight gain are a slow thing with tortoises, I'm still going to weigh and measure him every week for now... Or should I just do it every month.. Oooooh I don't wanna stress about it but I also don't want to leave something til it's too late. Thoughts please.... Thanks in advance peeps. Xxx

Hey!
I weigh mine every week as he's only 3 months. He seems to put on about a gram a week, but it takes them time to settle in, plus some grow faster than others and so on.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.