Hermanns tortoise diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coventry, England
[/b]This is for hermann tortoise owners.

THey cannot eat Tomatoes or fruit, however a slice of tomatoe or fruit once every week wont do any harm as a treat. But only once a week and only 1 thin slice, chopped finely.

These tortoises need a diet of: weeds, flowers and plants and greens heres a list.

Greens:
Mustard greens
Collard greens
Turnip greens
Carrot tops
Spring greens
Salad mixes
Endive
Escarole
Carrots
Cucumber (sparingly)

Weeds/Plants/Flowers:
Dandelion
Bindweed
Plantain
Hibiscus
Aloe vera
Pansy
Petunia
Fuschia
Hosta
Chicory
Knapweed
Bitter cress
Field pansy
Rose petals
Hedge mustard
Sowthistle
Global thistle
Violets
Bermuda Grass
Other grasses

Other:
Once a week or so, you can give tomatoes as a nice juicey treat.
It is not highly recommended since its a fruit...and fruit is bad for tortoises.
But as a treat no harm done =]

Attachments

• daisy (5).jpg
    daisy (5).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 291

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That was a nice list CPX. One thing I would use the collard, turnip, and mustard greens rarely as they contain something that wipes out other vitamins. At least that is what I read on the Russian sites. But great list.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Thankyou, yes The greens are something you would feed rarely or feed very little of.
However it is a food that can be used daily, or when weeds and plants run out.
Such as during hot summer weeks where nothing grows cuz of the heat.
Or ice cold weeks in winter when its too cold for anything to stay alive long enough.

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would never feed cabbage to a tortoise, it is from the brassica family and therefore prevents the tort absorbing the calcium from the other healthy foods, tomatoes are not good for med species either - they are a fruit and therefore upsets the gut flora.

Tamie

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tamie said:
I would never feed cabbage to a tortoise, it is from the brassica family and therefore prevents the tort absorbing the calcium from the other healthy foods, tomatoes are not good for med species either - they are a fruit and therefore upsets the gut flora.

Tamie
Hi Tamie,
I have to agree with you here.I have never fed any of my torts fruit or vegetables.My torts only diet is pure weeds.

Julie

Henry-flash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Have to agree with Tamie and Julie here. I wouldn't be adding any of the greens stated there to any of my tortoises diets.

Peter

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Lol if you look.. i said tomatoes are bad.
But greens can be fed when out of weeds.

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
T-P said:
Lol if you look.. i said tomatoes are bad.
But greens can be fed when out of weeds.

Cpx, here's what you actually said:

Other:
you can feed occassionally tomatoes, cucumber, and cabbage when your out of weeds. but do not feed this daily other wise your tortoise will become unhealthy.
Feed cucumber daily if you want to, but never feed tomatoes or cabbage daily. Once a week or whenever your outof other food.

So you see you did say to feed tomatoes, albeit occassionally, but to correct this information; tomatoes are a fruit and not to be fed and anything from the brassica family should NOT BE FED AT ALL !!!!

Also, cucumber has no nutritional value at all and is of no benefit to a healthy hydrated tortoise.

Tamie

Z

zeezombiedoll

but i thought that you could feed tomatoes.. on another forum, people have said they do.

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
zeezombiedoll said:
but i thought that you could feed tomatoes.. on another forum, people have said they do.

Just because people have said they feed tomatoes to their tortoises does not make it right for the tortoise.

Tamie

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
zeezombiedoll said:

Tomatoes are a fruit which will upset the gut flora.

Julie

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
zeezombiedoll said:

Tomatoes are a fruit,like any other fruit they will upset the gut flora.

Julie

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Woops sorry so i did.
But on shelledwarriors (correct me if wrong)..everyone says they occasionally feed tortoises.
if its not believed then please click this link:
http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8778

SO i take it tomatoes and cucumber are very much allowed to be fed as a "treat" :rolleyes:

Someone said:
well I own up I do give my torts the odd tomatoe as a treat they may not contain any value but can give extra moisture when its hot and dry and I don,t think they do any harm as a treat, but my torts have access to weeds and grazing all day every day and often they don,t want the treats anyway.

another person said:
plus to be extra naughty they have the odd peice of cucumber and a nice juicy strawberry so go ahead and string me up probably no more sugar content than lovely big flower heads full of nectar

Someone else also said:
I must admit I did give my two a little piece of cucumber and a little strawberry I had growing in the garden one day but they would'nt touch it, I guess they are just too well trained now I thought if I needed to worm them putting it on the cucumber may make them take it, but no go. I think a little thin slice of cucumber on a rare occasion should do no harm.
Beverley
[/b]

Tamie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
T-P said:
Woops sorry so i did.
But on shelledwarriors (correct me if wrong)..everyone says they occasionally feed tortoises.
if its not believed then please click this link:
http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8778

SO i take it tomatoes and cucumber are very much allowed to be fed as a "treat" :rolleyes:

Someone said:
well I own up I do give my torts the odd tomatoe as a treat they may not contain any value but can give extra moisture when its hot and dry and I don,t think they do any harm as a treat, but my torts have access to weeds and grazing all day every day and often they don,t want the treats anyway.

another person said:
plus to be extra naughty they have the odd peice of cucumber and a nice juicy strawberry so go ahead and string me up probably no more sugar content than lovely big flower heads full of nectar

Someone else also said:
I must admit I did give my two a little piece of cucumber and a little strawberry I had growing in the garden one day but they would'nt touch it, I guess they are just too well trained now I thought if I needed to worm them putting it on the cucumber may make them take it, but no go. I think a little thin slice of cucumber on a rare occasion should do no harm.
Beverley
[/b]

Well, I will correct you as you are WRONG - not "everybody" said they fed their tortoises tomatoes, a few did and I say again just because some do it does not make it right.

Please accept that you have listed incorrect items as suitable for tortoises.

As for bringing up Shellwarriors, one would have thought you of all people would rather things not be copied and pasted from there onto here?!?

Tamie

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Well tamie, you can post whatever you like about me and my past tortoises.
Ive already stated to alot of people what happened and how stuborn i am.
So i dont really care...

Lets not start an arguement on this forum...SW has to much of it.
Specially when i was around.

Anyway if it makes you so happy...ill edit the post =]

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Here is a diet list on a hermanns care sheet. Since I do not have hermanns I can't say it is good or not but what do you think so maybe we can get good diets up for people who have new torts and need to know what to feed.

The best diet is a natural one that allows the tortoise to graze on various weeds and greens. Such things as dandelion, bindweed, opuntia cactus, sedum, plantains (the weed, not the fruit known as plaintain), coreopsis, hibiscus, mulberry leaves, California poppy, mallow, honeysuckle, some vetches, some clovers, bermuda grass, and many other wildflowers and weeds can be grown in an outdoor tortoise pen. It is also possible to grow many wildflowers and weeds indoors and in greenhouses so that your tortoise does not have to rely on grocery store greens, especially in winter. Anything the tortoise might graze on must be pesticide free.

If fed grocery store produce, it should be mixed into a salad and may include endive, escarole, shredded carrot, kale, opuntia, occasional romaine, and occasional pumpkin. The mixed salad diet is low in fiber so it is helpful to sprinkle with bermuda grass hay that has been ground to a powder (a coffee grinder works well). Dust the food with calcium daily, and if the tortoise isn't kept outdoors in natural sunlight, also use a combination calcium-D3 product a couple of times a week. It is also helpful to keep a cuttlebone (with the back removed) in the enclosure so your tortoise can nibble on it if she or he feels the need for more calcium.

Foods to avoid (or to use in very *tiny* amounts) because they interfere with the uptake of calcium: spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, beans, peas, cauliflower, collard greens, beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens. Fruit also should be avoided because the hermanns tortoise's digestive system can't process it.

Status
Not open for further replies.