Pancake Tortoise water dish???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvaldes55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have a 7 month old Pancake tortoise. I have read online contradicting arguments on whether or not you should put a water dish in your pancake's enclosure or just give it weekly soakings. I have been sticking to the weekly soakings mainly because I know they can get most of their water through their food. Should I keep just with the weekly soakings or put a water dish in as well?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would always advise to let your tortoise have access to water all of the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises need access to water all the time. They do not get the amount of water they may need from their food. That is one of those old, bad ways.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can use a ceramic flower pot dish. The type that go under the pot to catch water... the texture gives them some traction, easy to clean, cheap not too deep...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Laura said:
cheap not too deep...
Sounds like some dates I have had.

Regarding having a water dish I use this example. Imagine I only let you drink water once a day, how would that feel? it is always better to offer a dish and if they don't use it no harm done.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Pancake tortoises drink ALOT!! Way more than you would think! I recommend placing one or soaking every other day or so.

DriveWRX

5 Year Member
USA
Tim/Robin said:
Pancake tortoises drink ALOT!! Way more than you would think!

I can confirm this! Pancakes do drink a lot!
So yes, give them a water dish.

Check out my thread in the photos and videos section. The first video is my youngest Pancake finding his water dish and drinking.
Baby Pancake Tortoise Videos

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jvaldes55 said:
I have a 7 month old Pancake tortoise. I have read online contradicting arguments on whether or not you should put a water dish in your pancake's enclosure or just give it weekly soakings. I have been sticking to the weekly soakings mainly because I know they can get most of their water through their food. Should I keep just with the weekly soakings or put a water dish in as well?

This is old, outdated, incorrect info. We know better now.

I recommend a water dish for every tortoise, all species. I would also soak them two or three times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.