OUTDOOR SULCATA SHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRTLGRL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newark, DE
Hello everyone. Just joined, my name is Pamela. My arsenal of turts/torts include Russians, Sulcata's, Eastern Box, Redfoots, and a few water turts. Not to mention an english mastiff and 2 too many cats :) so here's my question. I swore I'd never own a sulcata for this very reason, they are too big to be comfy indoors and was wondering who might live in northeast. I live in DE and looking to build an outdoor enclosure to house the sulcatas through the winter. Suggestions as far as insulation, radiant heat panels (which I am told only reach about 12 to 16 inches in depth) and any other input/suggestions you can offer. I am thinking of building maybe 4 foot tall ..
thanks for your help.
~Pamela~
(and the gang)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Pamela!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I can tell you what I did for my leopard. I live in Chicago. I built a 8x12 insulated shed. The walls, floor and ceiling is insulated. Inside the shed I built a hide. Inside the hide for winter will be a radiant heat panel on top and a pig blanket underneath. They both will be on a thermostat and set to 80. The rest of the shed will be heated to 70-75 by a oil filled portable radiator heater.
This coming winter will be my first. So, I can't tell ya how it works yet. Oh, there will also be a mercury vapor bulb hanging outside the hide to warm up past 95. I will have the MVB on all day. If needed, I have extra CHE and another little heater incase I quickly need to add more heat. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.