Outdoor habitat

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
In roughly a year, my family and I will be moving from England to Germany and bringing our beloved Hermann's tortoise with us. Here we wish to give him an outdoor enclosure as our property will have a garden. As of now, he lives in a large indoor enclosure with the correct lights to sustain him. I have never delved too deeply into outdoor habitats as they always seemed so distant, but suddenly the future is closer than ever.
How are we to build a home for our tortoise outside? I have heard that if done correctly they are practically self sufficient. Address me as an amateur, for that I am.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lay fencing over the ground so he can't dig out, let weeds etc grow thru the fence. Lay the sides of the enclosure on top of the edge of the ground fencing.
Either put a fenced top on it so he can't climb out or wildlife can't get in. Give him a hide box that can be heated when needed and that you can lock him in each night for added safety.
Of course add a water dish and edible plants.
Can be semi self sufficient if you add the right weeds to the enclosure for him to eat. But water should be cleaned and changed daily and checked that he is actually eating the weeds.