Outdoor enclosure question...

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hey all I am getting a Russian tort next month and I am preparing my outdoor enclosure already but I'm kinda stuck I have no clue what I should put in there for a hide(and how many) and also what should I put for like a climbing thing for him/her? I am planning on putting terra Cotta saucers for food/water so that should be good :) oh and what is the best digital thermometer for the beverage fridge I'm gonna hibernate him in? And what is the best scale?

Thanks

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
How big is the enclosure. How many hides is optional. I use a few blocks to make a tunnel and add earth to make into a hill hide, so mine can hide under and climb above. I have two hides in my enclosure. Good luck :)

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
How big is the enclosure. How many hides is optional. I use a few blocks to make a tunnel and add earth to make into a hill hide, so mine can hide under and climb above. I have two hides in my enclosure. Good luck :)

May I see pictures to get an idea? Please ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you actually want to discourage climbing don't put anything in there 4 encouragement

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well it's bad in the sense that they're not supposed to climb they can and do climb often but when they climb it raises the risk of falling over onto their back if they can't turn themselves back over they could die so I just don't risk it.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
well it's bad in the sense that they're not supposed to climb they can and do climb often but when they climb it raises the risk of falling over onto their back if they can't turn themselves back over they could die so I just don't risk it.

That's very true. Well should I just burry a pot?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
oh and what is the best digital thermometer for the beverage fridge I'm gonna hibernate him in? And what is the best scale?

Are you thinking of hibernating now? Or are you getting ready for next winter?

If the former isn't it a bit late to hibernate him now?
I have seen it recommended that torts are not hibernated the first year and maybe not until they are a certain age just so you can make sure they are healthy enough to survive it. I may be wrong on the last bit but if you use the search facility you'll find more info on that.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
yes a buried pot makes a very nice hide. use several if possible

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Are you thinking of hibernating now? Or are you getting ready for next winter?

If the former isn't it a bit late to hibernate him now?
I have seen it recommended that torts are not hibernated the first year and maybe not until they are a certain age just so you can make sure they are healthy enough to survive it. I may be wrong on the last bit but if you use the search facility you'll find more info on that.

Hey Lyn I am buying one from @Tom and he is gubernatorial it already so I'm guessing it's safe enough

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey Lyn I am buying one from @Tom and he is gubernatorial it already so I'm guessing it's safe enough
Ah well @Tom certainly knows what he's talking about! He'll be the best to advise on that.
Apologies for jumping in.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No need to apologize you also did teach me something I didn't know so I should thank you lol :D
Thanks - only what I've learned here by reading the forums. I never dreamed there was so much to think of and learn when keeping a tort before I took in my leopard. Thank goodness for TTF!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
beverage fridge I'm gonna hibernate him in?
Most refrigerators in today's world are of the type that dehydrate items not sealed in them. You know, a piece of bread dries out in 12-36 hours or so and this would be very bad for a tortoise. You don't want to disturb a hibernating tortoise to give it water, so you must make sure you have the proper equipment beforehand. I'm not sure of any brand name, but somewhere I seem to remember the older refrigerators where not of this design, (frost free).

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Most refrigerators in today's world are of the type that dehydrate items not sealed in them. You know, a piece of bread dries out in 12-36 hours or so and this would be very bad for a tortoise. You don't want to disturb a hibernating tortoise to give it water, so you must make sure you have the proper equipment beforehand. I'm not sure of any brand name, but somewhere I seem to remember the older refrigerators where not of this design, (frost free).

Ok so my mini fridge won't work?what fridge do you prefer?