Our Russian Tortoise Doesn't Want To Eat

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, AZ
Hello! I am so excited to join your forum and learn all I can about caring for a Russian Tortoise! Our family got Franklin, a 2 year old RT, four days ago. He seems pretty active, but hasn't eaten since he came home with us. We have a UVB light on 12-13 hours a day and that seems to keep him active, but from what I've read, I think he might not be warm enough. We live in Phoenix, AZ and our home is set to 82 degrees. I have ordered the ZooMed PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts to replace the UVB only bulb we currently have. Do you think this is a good bulb? His home has about 1 1/2" to 2" of Exo Terra Plantation Soil and he loves burrowing in it. Any other ideas on why he might not be eating would be greatly appreciated! We have tried green leaf lettuce, kale, spring mix, carrots & zucchini squash. I have attached a few pictures of Franklin.

Attachments

• 20170816_085100.jpg
    20170816_085100.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20170816_101030.jpg
    20170816_101030.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

daniellenc

Maryland
He may be too cool so a basking spot will be perfect. What are the temps inside of his actual cage?

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Goodyear, AZ
Great, I am hoping the heat will help him! I don't know the temps in his cage, I still need to get a thermometer. What do you recommend?

Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Amy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
It can take several days for a tortoise to adjust to its new surroundings, and during this time they often don't eat. It is afraid it is going to be eaten, that it is on another's territory and that even you are a danger to it. Once it has adapted to its new home and realized there is no danger, that this is its territory and that you are the food god it should start to eat if your set up is right.
Have a very good read of http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Most of the info you need is there.
Basking spot should be 95 to 100 degrees.
I think those MVB bulbs are great but others here prefer to use a strip UVB light and separate basking bulb.
Use a laser temperature gun for the best results.

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Goodyear, AZ
Thank you so much! Those links have a ton of useful information! One more question, is it ok to turn the lamps off at night or does the heating lamp need to be on 24/7?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Russians are fine if the temp drops at night, it's natural for them.
As long as it doesn't get too cold at night.
Temps in the 60's or high 50's should be fine.

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Goodyear, AZ
You are right, it is too small! The shop I purchased him from said a 20 gallon was fine, but I have since learned that is NOT true! My son and I are currently figuring out what kind of enclosure to make for him long term, and how big we can make it. Do you think it's ok to buy a large plastic storage box to use for now? At least that way he could have more room while we figure out something long term.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You are right, it is too small! The shop I purchased him from said a 20 gallon was fine, but I have since learned that is NOT true! My son and I are currently figuring out what kind of enclosure to make for him long term, and how big we can make it. Do you think it's ok to buy a large plastic storage box to use for now? At least that way he could have more room while we figure out something long term.
A plastic box would be fine in the interim.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

It will take him some time to calm down and eat; you do need to remove the carrots from his diet. He can't properly digest the sugars in them and most vegetables/fruits.

When you are more comfortable, we can give you broader information on a healthy diet.

Loritort

Actually, you can look at lists for healthy tort foods anytime or feel free to ask on here. We want everyone on here to feel "comfortable":)