Our new babies x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome you will find a mine of valuable up to date information here from very experienced keepers.
They are lovely little torts - but keep an eye on them as pairs as not recommended unless you have lots of space where they can avoid each other. They are territorial and one usually becomes dominant and will harass the other - sometimes aggressive - biting, pushing flipping over etc but also by following, trying to push it off good basking spots (often mistaken for snuggling which torts don't do) It can cause stress and illness. This link may help explain it better

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Sadly there are lots of other similar stories too of you do a search.

Some plants in there may help to keep them out of each others sight but not easy in a confined space so be prepared to move one into its own enclosure.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I would not house them as a pair. Your single picture demonstrates subtle territorial aggression.

I would also not use hay as it can mold with your other substrate and your species doesn't eat it anyhow.

Hope you don't mind people offering helpful tips when they see a potential problem. :)

Finally, this is in the sulcata section, but you don't have sulcatas. You can request a mod move your thread to the species appropriate area.

vikvigs

It says they are spur thighed salcuta on documents I thought, very new to this and not once did anyone say not to pair them

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It says they are spur thighed salcuta on documents I thought, very new to this and not once did anyone say not to pair them
Did you buy from a pet shop or breeder? Maybe you have just been given the wrong documents.
Unfortunately there are many examples here of wrong/no information from both suppliers, some are only interested in profit, but stick with the forum and you will get all the best information you need to care for them. There are caresheets for all species to help with diet temps humidity substrate etc and the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid possible problems. Where are you located?

Last edited:

vikvigs

Portsmouth, they seem to be doing ok, we only got them a week or so ago and it's our first time lol x

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Admins, if you can, please move this thread to the Greek tortoise forum. These definitely are not Hermann's at all. They are Greeks 100%.

vikvigs

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454580664.527006.jpg
This is the document I was given for each one? Not even sure if we actually own them?

DPtortiose

What you've got there is a CITES document stating the animals origin. It's very important that you archive these papers properly. Although T. graeca is not a Cites A animal, it's a Cites B animal. Meaning you are required to give prove of legal acquisition of the animals. That's what that paper is for, so keep it safe. It's also required that you have an administration of the animal stating when offspring was born, etc. So make sure you have this in order. They rarely check but it's better to have this in order rather than risk an fine.

It's excellent that the previous owner/breeder provided this. The legal aspect of keeping CITES species is often forgotten.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually they are African spur thighed

No, Actually, they are NOT! An African spurred tortoise is a sulcata:

upload_2016-2-4_7-32-20.jpeg

A spur thighed tortoise is a Greek:

AdultGreekTHREE(2).jpg

There are several different sub-species of Greek (spur thighed) tortoise. One of the foremost experts on Mediterranean tortoises has just let us know that your tortoises are Greek tortoises (hermannichris), and you can take that to the bank!