Opuntia Cactus

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've been growing cactus for tortoise's for many years. I live in a cold winter area where not all cactus will survive our winters. I grow both spineless and types with long spines. My favorite is one type that has spines. I get more pads and fruit during the growing season than from the spineless per plant. I let the spineless grow new pads during the warm months and feed them off during winter.KIMG3324.JPGI took this picture today of some of the new growth pads showing no spines yet. They are about 8 to 9 inches in length and can reach over 12 inches before the spines start showing up especially if we have a wet spring and early summer. KIMG3331.JPGThe first bloom opened today and it opens yellow but as the day goes on it turns orange KIMG3337.JPGusing the phone it doesn't show the deeper orange color. It's really pretty when they start blooming in numbers. Especially when the fruits turns red.

ryan57

PA
Len, if I recall you said you found them growing in the wild native to your area. I wonder if they would do the mild winters we've been having up here near Gettysburg? If so I need to get a whole bunch of them thriving.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Len, if I recall you said you found them growing in the wild native to your area. I wonder if they would do the mild winters we've been having up here near Gettysburg? If so I need to get a whole bunch of them thriving.
They should, since I've had these they have survived single digit temps and one year we were below 32f for two weeks day and night. What I found wild was the humifusa type that grows naturally into Canada. The pads don't get as big and it lays down during the winter months but comes back to life in the spring. What's in the pic, I was told is called rubusto. KIMG3344.JPGThe blooms usually only last one day. This one must not have opened completely yesterday. If you can't find any hardy cactus locally, I may be able to help

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Len,could you possibly send me some of your pads. That grow the orange flower. The cost of a medium box from the post office. Is just under 30 bucks which I am willing to pay. The post office small box is way to small. I have the spineless like ZEROPILOT. I have sent out 4 medium boxes to members already this year. I think I will try to eat some. My new growth has been unbelievable this year.
Thanks Ray

Len B

10 Year Member!
Len,could you possibly send me some of your pads. That grow the orange flower. The cost of a medium box from the post office. Is just under 30 bucks which I am willing to pay. The post office small box is way to small. I have the spineless like ZEROPILOT. I have sent out 4 medium boxes to members already this year. I think I will try to eat some. My new growth has been unbelievable this year.
Thanks Ray
Certainly I will. Do want to grow them? I have several different kinds of spineless that would be good for eating too. Here's one.KIMG3369.JPG

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Certainly I will. Do want to grow them? I have several different kinds of spineless that would be good for eating too. Here's one.View attachment 371122
I have a bunch of a spineless. Looks different than yours slightly. It will all be for planting. If you want to send me a few pads from everything you have.
Like I said a U.S. postals medium box. Is a few bucks under 30 dollars. I will pay you for the postage. Thank you Ray 20210213_175238.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks Ray
And you know I highly recommend eating it at least once 😜 just to try. Come to find out it's really good for a body and has a unique flavor.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This is what I have together so far View attachment 371294The one that turns orange and 8 different spineless types.
What ever you can send will be appreciated. My cactus grow along one of the fence lines in the backyard. My sully has grown up with them. So now and then Opo will take a bite of a bottom pad. The older pads must not taste good. Because he loves the new growth. I have a few gaps between plants. If some of the pads you send. Don't have large spines. I will probably plant in the gaps. The more aggressive spines. I will plant in the front yard. To keep away from Opo.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Everything In the pic except the one that turns orange is spineless some to the point you can just free hand them and not worry about getting little spines in your fingers. What I'm sending are smaller pads from plants where the pads will grow much bigger in time. What I like about the orange plants is they can be shaped like a bonsai tree as they grow. I have one plant that the pads are purple with very long spines. I'll add one to the box.
What ever you can send will be appreciated. My cactus grow along one of the fence lines in the backyard. My sully has grown up with them. So now and then Opo will take a bite of a bottom pad. The older pads must not taste good. Because he loves the new growth. I have a few gaps between plants. If some of the pads you send. Don't have large spines. I will probably plant in the gaps. The more aggressive spines. I will plant in the front yard. To keep away from Opo.