Old Mazuri?

Ariza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
My DT Ariza is already brumating. I have some leftover Mazuri that I bought mid-summer. I wonder if I should just throw it away. I put it in the freezer but it's probably too old already. She loves it and I'll buy more in the Spring after she comes out. Any advice?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In a cool cupboard mine stayed good for year. if you're going to buy more you don't need to keep this batch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I buy a couple of the largest bags at a time. I freeze or place in a frig to keep it good. I wouldn't throw it out.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Thanks all for the replies. The reason I asked is that I've read that Mazuri is only fresh for 3 months. I only bought 1 lb to see if she liked it and she loved it. I've kept it in the refrigerator the whole time since I bought it.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
it will be fine......without exposed to any moisture the stuff will last for quite some time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see no reason to chuck it. Keep it dry, cool and dark, and it should still be fine in the spring.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Thank you guys, am keeping till Spring when she can eat again. Hate wasting money and especially hate wasting food. Just one more question: How long CAN I keep Mazuri if I were to keep most of it in ref? I'd like to buy the big 25lb bag from the company (cheaper) but I've only got one tort, it will take forever to use up. Thanks again!

And thanks Yvonne for the link, have bookmarked it and will buy soon. I live in AZ and it gets hot in the garage in the summer, where do you keep your container?

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
Just one more question: How long CAN I keep Mazuri if I were to keep most of it in ref? I'd like to buy the big 25lb bag from the company (cheaper)...

From the manufacturer's data sheet:

Mazuri tortoise LS Diet Storage Conditions
For best results store contents of open paper sack in container with sealing lid. Store in a cool (75°F or colder), dry (approximately 50% RH) location. Freezing will not harm the diet and may extend freshness. Use within 1 year of bag manufacturing.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
That is why I love this forum. Some questions I liked to have asked are already answered. This was one.

Thanks, Roy

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Thanks TurtleBug. I obviously should not buy the 25 lb bag, there's no way Ariza can eat that much in one year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you guys, am keeping till Spring when she can eat again. Hate wasting money and especially hate wasting food. Just one more question: How long CAN I keep Mazuri if I were to keep most of it in ref? I'd like to buy the big 25lb bag from the company (cheaper) but I've only got one tort, it will take forever to use up. Thanks again!

And thanks Yvonne for the link, have bookmarked it and will buy soon. I live in AZ and it gets hot in the garage in the summer, where do you keep your container?

I have a little closet off the kitchen I refer to as the pantry. I keep my canned goods, dog food, etc. in there.