Nutritional value for Grape and Mulberry leaves

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I have only a young mulberry tree so not many spare leaves and it's easy to see that my tortoises love them. However, I have tons of grape vines and no one will touch the leaves, edible or not.
I have not tried cuttings. Birds take care of spreading these for me with the seeds. Only one of mine fruits the rest are small to med size that have not fruited. I get so many saplings in the spring shoot up because we don't mow our tree line until early summer. I will try to remeber to post them in the spring, if any one wants any.
i would love some too, can I get added to the list, that's one thing I haven't been able to get my hands on.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Mulberry trees are very cheap on ebay. You can keep pruning them as you need leaves for the tortoises to keep them smaller. Some do well in containers.

Prairie Mom

Is there anywhere to get a mulberry tree that is larger size. I'm from Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum.
Peaches
Hi Crystal Carline, I've never grown Mulberry before, but based on what Yvonne, Bouaboua, Jacqui, and lismar says, it sounds like they grow so fast that you may not need to buy a large expensive one in the first place. If you don't have any garden nurseries in your area that sell mulberry trees, you can always try an online one. I don't have good nurseries where I live and have bought most of my fruiting shrubs from various online catalogues. There's always about a 50/50 chance the plant won't survive, but many of the online catalogues have replacement guarantees. Just check the return policy BEFORE you make your order and always be sure to save the box and all packing materials just in case they need it.

We can ask @bouaboua where he got his from. @CharlieM says they're pretty cheap on ebay. I've never ordered from ebay, but it wouldn't hurt to look in to. I also noticed this online nursery has mulberry trees for sale:
http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/mulberry-trees -I don't know what the quality of their mulberries are like, but I ordered 12 blackberries from them last year and only 1 of the 12 didn't make it. Often when you order trees online they arrive looking like a STICK in a pot, so try not to be too alarmed when it arrives and just make sure you keep everything if you need to return it. Good luck and remember grape leaves are good too:)

AZTorts

Arizona
How do you get the cuttings to root? I cut like 50 off a tree and all died .

I've had the same bad luck with them. I have been told that new mulberry trees are banned here in the Phoenix area due to their pollen so I can't even go and buy one. :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I've had the same bad luck with them. I have been told that new mulberry trees are banned here in the Phoenix area due to their pollen so I can't even go and buy one. :(

Want some leaves?

AZTorts

Arizona
Want some leaves?

Awww than you for asking! But I have some in my fridge that I got from my dad's male mulberry tree. Every time I go over there I grab some. LOL Is it better to let the leaves dry out? I've taken many cuttings from his tree as well in hopes of getting one to take but none of them have. I don't need a lot at this point since my torts aren't even 3" long yet. They love my grapevine leaves, ruella flowers, pumpkin vine leaves, and hibiscus leaves but I want them to have more variety. I was in the feed store yesterday and noticed they have 25 lb bags of tortoise/turtle/alligator food. Now mine are too small for that but is it a good idea to supplement with that kind of food?

Louisiana
Thanks so much prairie mom. I did find an online nursery that sells mulberry and grape vines. I just always want full grown now LOL. Everything I have planted is not allowed. Such as oak trees wisteria bottle brush oleander and ligustrum. I'm trying to wait and see if my local nurseries will have plants to offer that I need. I did succeed with some grasses and squash. Now I'm trying pumpkin This is a lot of work and research. So worth it though. Have a great day !!!

Peaches

Prairie Mom

Thanks so much prairie mom. I did find an online nursery that sells mulberry and grape vines. I just always want full grown now LOL. Everything I have planted is not allowed. Such as oak trees wisteria bottle brush oleander and ligustrum. I'm trying to wait and see if my local nurseries will have plants to offer that I need. I did succeed with some grasses and squash. Now I'm trying pumpkin This is a lot of work and research. So worth it though. Have a great day !!!

Peaches
I understand!:) I'm pretty excited to see how fast these grow. I'm very new to tortoise keeping, but have always loved gardening. I'm thrilled to now have a little beastie who appreciates my gardening. Growing food for my tortoise is half the fun:) Good luck with your pumpkin! Mine did really well this year and I'm hoping to recycle the seeds from the garden-grown jack '0 lanterns we're about to cut. woo-hoo!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Awww than you for asking! But I have some in my fridge that I got from my dad's male mulberry tree. Every time I go over there I grab some. LOL Is it better to let the leaves dry out? I've taken many cuttings from his tree as well in hopes of getting one to take but none of them have. I don't need a lot at this point since my torts aren't even 3" long yet. They love my grapevine leaves, ruella flowers, pumpkin vine leaves, and hibiscus leaves but I want them to have more variety. I was in the feed store yesterday and noticed they have 25 lb bags of tortoise/turtle/alligator food. Now mine are too small for that but is it a good idea to supplement with that kind of food?

Would depend on what kind of food it is (as in what is in it). Are they saying all three swill eat this same food?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Peaches

Wanting a full grown one so you can have leaves now? If so, my offer of leaves is good to you also.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have spent the last couple of days cutting out mulberry trees/bushes. lol I have lots of them growing all over the place to use for food and came no where near using even 5% of what I grew. Strange thing this year, my two older sulcatas decided they didn't want to eat any. :( Mavis will have a box of them coming next week. lol
Shoot, don't throw any of those little trees away...I'll take a couple...if they can grow in Nebraska they will grow here I'm sure....
he loves grape leaves. Gets'em daily...I have grape vines...

Louisiana
Thanks that's so sweet. I'm new to this and trying to learn as much as possible. My chia grass should be ready in a few days and wheat grass. Hoping she likes them. I mostly read all the posts and search for info on the forum. Learning a little at a time

Peaches