Number of torts together

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
For those of you with more than one tortoise in your family--

In your experience, is there a good number of torts (assuming all female for now) that do well together?

I know two together is bad. Is there a good number, three? four? What's the magic number for peace and harmony?

Space, food, and supplies are not an issue. Just want the best possible situation with multiples.

Thank you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There's no magic number.

Groups of 3 or more tortoises MAY live in harmony if they are in a very large outdoor enclosure - minimum 4'x8' (1.5x2.2 metres) PER TORTOISE - with plenty of sight barriers.

And they may not. And things might change with no apparent reason.

Some species are better at group cohabitation (Aldabra, Pancake) than others (Russian, Sulcata)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't think there's a "magic" number but from experience with torts and turtles I always tell people to learn how to care for one really good for a year or 2 before diving into multiples.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The other important thing with multiples is that you must always have a new tortoise live entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months before introducing it to any of your own.

This is to ensure that neither makes the other sick.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree, no magic number. I had a trio of baby leopards that I had to separate, and a pair of adult female's that did fine. Learn how to care for one. Learn about each individual. When they are together watch for any changes, any signs it's not working. Never get more than you can provide separate enclosures for.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
I have 7 relatively-small (8-12") rescued Sulcatas living together in the same large pen, with no problems, other than occasionally pulling on the same hibiscus flower. But the others are right that you need to play that by ear, & keep a close eye out for any bad interactions.

Ken