Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
When using the number designation system, 2.4.8, does the final number indicate juvenile or unknown sex?

Specifically, if one were to add a temp-sexed hatchling or yearling to ones collection, would you put it in the known male or female category, or would it go in the last category since its immature?:tort:

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have always interpreted it to designate gender only. Only animals that are of unknown gender go in the 3rd column. If you can sex an animal at birth, it would be shown according to it's gender regardless of age. Likewise, a 10 year old that is an unknown gender would go in the 3rd column.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
From what I understood, the last number is for an unsexed animal. If temp sexing is not 100% I would assume they would go in the last figure until you can confirm whether or not the temp sexing was successful. But then again I'm pretty new to the game.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
In the sex designation system...the third number is "undetermined gender"

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I put my temp sexed animals in their gender category until there is proof that I am wrong ;) The third number is for unknown animals.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Kristina said:
I put my temp sexed animals in their gender category until there is proof that I am wrong ;) The third number is for unknown animals.

Likewise.:D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm sorry to disagree here, Kristina! I've seen too many sex-temped animals (especially female) turn out to be opposite from what they were guaranteed to be.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I list any of mine that I don't know the sex no matter how old in the third column

sex temped has a better chance of a higher percentage on females but is by no means a perfect system and I also have seen many that were temped at XX degrees for a certain gender turn out to be other genders.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
JeffG said:
I have always interpreted it to designate gender only. Only animals that are of unknown gender go in the 3rd column. If you can sex an animal at birth, it would be shown according to it's gender regardless of age. Likewise, a 10 year old that is an unknown gender would go in the 3rd column.

That's always been my understanding, as well. :tort:

GBtortoises said:
I agree with Captain Awesome!

Temperature sexing = Don't count your tortoises before they hatch or you could have "egg" on your face!

I'm just full of corny references today.

LOL...that's what makes life fun! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For me, until an animal's gender is actually a for sure thing, it goes in the third column. Temp sexed is just a guess, because higher numbers of the hatchlings should hopefully be a certain gender, but your still only playing the odds. Then there are those who use a fourth column, which are for the eggs they have incubating. :cool:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JeffG said:

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.