normal baby sulcata shell color???

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
okay i have a baby sulcata and he acts normal and everything but his shell is a little soft but thts cuz hes a baby, but is it supposed to be a yellowy color? the rings and markings are brown and his skin looks normal or i dont know what color is normal. so a little help would ne nice just so i know hes okay, like i said he acts and eats normal.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
this is my little guy :) does he look healthy???
IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

qixer01

10 Year Member!
He looks very healthy to me. Looks just like mine did when they were that size. Shell looks nice and smooth also. Make sure to keep him/her hydrated.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
you have no idea how happy that made me feel. i had a hydration box for him but never crawled in it. i spry him with warm mist throughout the day and soak him about twice for half hour each, not to mention his own little water pool to go in. i make sure it is warm and spray his enclosure to keep it moist in there and dampedn his mulch every now and then. is this okay or should i do something more often??? also how often should i feed him??? i feed him once to twice a day depending on how much i give him the first time but whenever i hold him or have him near me he opend and closes his mouth alot, like he hungry so i give hm a little more food, is tht normal or is something wrong with him??? also thank you so much :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
His coloration is typical. There are multiple ways to manage water. I have enclosures set up such that there is always live growth available should the younger tortoises want to partake between designated feedings, which tend to occur twice a day when inside.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
okay, is there such a thing as too much water for babies??? i hear that they can get respiration problem if you give them too much water...is this true and if so hoe will i know how much water to give him, or how often to soak him or spray him???

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Extremely cute and healthy looking. Mist twice a day, and minimum twenty minute morning soak. Long the better, I notice by the forty five minute marker they finally relieve themselves... So to make sure they are going number one and two, I just soak them a little longer. They haven't minded at all. They look forward to it every morning... ;-)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Great, Congrats.
Not every sulcata will be the same exact color, since so many are out there :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think everything you are doing sounds great. Usually once a day soaking is enough, but twice won't hurt anything. He does look totally normal to me too. I spray my hatchlings at least 3 or 4 times a day, but sometimes 10 times a day. I put down a big pile of food in the morning and if its gone pretty quick I'll give them another pile in the afternoon.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Looks very cute and normal but there colors differ for sure rod don't even look the same at all.
2012-02-29_00-57-11_507.jpg
when I 1st got him.
2012-05-09_20-15-12_992.jpg
2 months later he looks like a totally different tort. ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A little late to the conversation, but he looks great to me.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Yeah my phone is giving me hell cause the weather. It will still be there tomorrow for them to see. Just thought it might help to see a 2 month progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.