NOOB found a turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeWhiteKiddd

5 Year Member
So I found a Russian tortoise crossing the street. I was totally gona sell it after I found out it was worth so much but I like it so I'm keeping it now. I'm positive it was someone's pet. Right when I got it I grabbed a Rubbermaid tub and put some soil/cabbage/ and a bowl of water. I recently got some substrate and placed a frisbee filled with water inside because I heard they like chilling in that, I still need a light. I've been feeding him cabbage still but I also throw in some spinach sometimes. I have some questions and ill take any recommendations.
first, do I wet the substrate ?
second, what else is good to feed him?
third, I wash my hands a lot after touching the tortoise but is it necessary?
last, what plants can I place in there just for some foliage

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
Maybe you should try finding out if it's someone's, they would probably like it back. Where u from?

SomeWhiteKiddd

5 Year Member
rltwaddle said:
Maybe you should try finding out if it's someone's, they would probably like it back. Where u from?

well I know who's it was because I posted a picture and two days later they came up to me and said it was theirs and I asked if they wanted it back but they said no.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
What a jerk... Id gladly take the RT. Love them... Pm if you need a home for him. Shipping is usually $32 which i can cover. ~peace

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

How big is the tort? If you take a pic of its underside we may be able to give a guess to male/female....also, if you found him likely someone is very sad to have lost him...this species of tortoise is a master escape artist...perhaps you could find it in your heart to place an ad on craigslist (just minimal info so someone does not call and try to lie)...and if no reply in a week then at least you made an effort...you know? But that ia totally up to you of course...

The cabbage and spinach mix is not too good...perhaps dandelion greens and flower...maybe some red roses and leaves (as long as no pesticides or fertilizers used on the plant)..if you go to the search line on this forum and enter Russian tortoise food you will get a large variety...

Also, are you for certain he is a Russian? Where in the world do you live?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Russian tortoises are extremely notorious escape artists, and it's owner is probably really heartbroken. You should definitely try and find them, to see if they want it back. Then, if you really like tortoises, get your own!

SomeWhiteKiddd

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

How big is the tort? If you take a pic of its underside we may be able to give a guess to male/female....also, if you found him likely someone is very sad to have lost him...this species of tortoise is a master escape artist...perhaps you could find it in your heart to place an ad on craigslist (just minimal info so someone does not call and try to lie)...and if no reply in a week then at least you made an effort...you know? But that ia totally up to you of course...

The cabbage and spinach mix is not too good...perhaps dandelion greens and flower...maybe some red roses and leaves (as long as no pesticides or fertilizers used on the plant)..if you go to the search line on this forum and enter Russian tortoise food you will get a large variety...

Also, are you for certain he is a Russian? Where in the world do you live?

I know exactly who the owner is and they said they didn't want it back. I love this thing its amazing. I live in California ill post a pic in a sec

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Weird, I missed your other posts for some reason. You definitely want to get is a basking lamp though, and UVB if you aren't planning on keeping it outside.

SomeWhiteKiddd

5 Year Member
file:///E:/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG0073.jpg

file:///E:/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG0071-1.jpg

file:///E:/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG0075.jpg

hopefully this works if not tell me and ill retry. the lady at the pet store said it was a russian female.
she also said the shell was splitting.

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0073.jpg
    IMAG0073.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0071-1.jpg
    IMAG0071-1.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 40

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Male russian by all looks of it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:D:p;) actually....the big fat long tail is a good indicator of male...more times than not in a variety of tortoise (and some turtles) a concave plastron is a male trait...it is designed this way to somewhat allow a way for the male tort to mesh together with the dome of the female (so the bugger does not slide off so readily) to aid in making nasty...lol..but, this is not true in every tort of every species...as each tort is individual in some fashion even if same species....

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I like your username --- Whoswhitekid R U :D:D:D Just joking---I had to do it. WELCOME Nice find

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try feeding Spring Mix salad... its much better than cabbage. And if you ahve good weeds... clover, Mallow, dandilions... grape leaves, mulberry, fig. roses.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SomeWhiteKiddd:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Status
Not open for further replies.