No urates on my Indian Star's pee for 6weeks

Clarissa Sugianto

Hello thanks for accept me to this forum .. i have 2 indian stars .. abou 6centimeters and 8centimeters length ... these 2 guys has not dispose any urates for the last 5-6weeks ... is this normal? The pee is clear and the poo is normal .. I soak them every morning , about 30minutes bath ... any valuable opinion will be appreciated . Thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is normal for a well hydrated tortoise that gets soaked daily. Urates are the concentrated form of waste products. A wild tortoise with less access to water would concentrate the urine to conserve precious water. Your tortoises with daily soaks and access to water have no need to concentrate their waste products. They pee out the older water and waste products and drink up plenty of fresh clean water as needed.

Clarissa Sugianto

This is normal for a well hydrated tortoise that gets soaked daily. Urates are the concentrated form of waste products. A wild tortoise with less access to water would concentrate the urine to conserve precious water. Your tortoises with daily soaks and access to water have no need to concentrate their waste products. They pee out the older water and waste products and drink up plenty of fresh clean water as needed.

Dear tom , I soaked them daily . After i fed them cucumber slices for 2 days in a row .. one of my indian star dispose a quite large stone .

My enclosure has no substrate . Because ambient humidity about 70%-80% for these rainy season .
I have done with any substrate like reptile bark and coco coir, just make them suffer respiratory infection. .

But i provide a water dish and daily soak is a must to keep them hydrate ..

I just worried about my other one ...

Sorry for bad English..

Attachments

• 20170129_100730.jpg
    20170129_100730.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 41

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome To the TortoiseForum Clarissa.

It would be good if you can take a picture of your tortoise's enclosure so we can see size, shape, lighting, etc. I'm not sure why you don't have any substrate.

Maybe a pix will help everyone help you and your tortoise!

Welcome and best of luck. Keep us updated regularly. :)

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
Dear tom , I soaked them daily . After i fed them cucumber slices for 2 days in a row .. one of my indian star dispose a quite large stone .

My enclosure has no substrate . Because ambient humidity about 70%-80% for these rainy season .
I have done with any substrate like reptile bark and coco coir, just make them suffer respiratory infection. .

Sorry for bad English..
So coco coir is not good for them?

kellygirl64

Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC

Sorry for bad English..
Oh my gosh !! Those stones came out of your tortoise ? I understand it is an old picture 2017, hope they got better and that everything is fine.