No Poop For 5 Days!

jessicaf

Location (City and/or State)
ADK NY
My russian hasnt pooped in 2 weeks. Took her to the vet because she wasn't eating or drinking. I figured it may be blockage. She doesn't have a uri but they gave her antibiotics just in case. Also dewormer her because she was from a pet store. They also injected some fluids into her. This was yesterday but she doesn't seem better yet????

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My russian hasnt pooped in 2 weeks. Took her to the vet because she wasn't eating or drinking. I figured it may be blockage. She doesn't have a uri but they gave her antibiotics just in case. Also dewormer her because she was from a pet store. They also injected some fluids into her. This was yesterday but she doesn't seem better yet????
Is she warm enough? Is she getting enough UVB light? Soak her a couple times a day in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes. The warm water and her moving around and it should help if there is a block.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Antibiotics and a dewormer both take time to work - they are also hard on a tortoise and can even lead to constipation (depending which antibiotics and which dewormer were prescribed).

jessicaf

ADK NY
Is she warm enough? Is she getting enough UVB light? Soak her a couple times a day in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes. The warm water and her moving around and it should help if there is a block.
I have been soaking her. Last night it looked like she was drowning. She put her head down into the water and moved it back and forth. I took her out because she was under for awhile! Then she was white and gasping. Very weird. Today I took her to the vet. They gave her more fluid and antibiotics. I think she may have died on the way home.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Oh no. Do you have pictures? Some people can tell just by looking if the tortoise is dead or not. Give her time, lots of time they go into shock and come back out of it. I'm so sorry.