No Poop For 5 Days!

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Usually my sulcata will poop quite generously every day, now, it's been 5 days and he still has the same appetite. I've soaked him for 30-45 minutes a day but still, I get nothing.

Should I be worried? What do I do if he doesn't poop for another 2-3 days? I'm concerned right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What has he been eating?

Put him in a large plastic tub and go for a car ride for a few miles.

If that doesn't work, soak him in a slick bottomed bathtub for an hour. All the marching will break it loose.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How often do you soak your tort? I mean properly where he can't climb out.

Are you certain your tort hasn't eaten his poop? - they do that.

Tom's ideas are sound. Joe can be relied on to poop on a car journey. Equally all the scrabbling round trying to climb out of a soaking bowl works too.

I'd go for the soak first as it will rectify low hydration at the same time.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Ill usually feed my tortoise some succulents and that makes him poop.. Within the day. Usually comes out watery. Have you tried giving him cactus pads or aloe?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I agree with Linhdan Nguyen, aloe loosens my tortoise right up. Have you tried canned pumpkin? Works like a charm. My tortoise wouldn't poop for a week, but pumpkin worked. Best of luck! :)

thegame2388

5 Year Member
What has he been eating?

Put him in a large plastic tub and go for a car ride for a few miles.

If that doesn't work, soak him in a slick bottomed bathtub for an hour. All the marching will break it loose.

The car ride idea sounds a bit hilarious, but I will try it. The diet hasn't changed whatsoever. I'm currently in the process of finding a place that sells canned pumpkin.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The car ride idea sounds a bit hilarious, but I will try it. The diet hasn't changed whatsoever. I'm currently in the process of finding a place that sells canned pumpkin.

Take your tortoise along for the ride when you go to get it! :D

I agree with Linhdan too. See if the store sells "nopales". Its opuntia cactus pads. Aloe can be found everywhere. Bugs don't eat it, so its usually pesticide free. Perhaps a friend, family member or neighbor has some growing?

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Take your tortoise along for the ride when you go to get it! :D

I agree with Linhdan too. See if the store sells "nopales". Its opuntia cactus pads. Aloe can be found everywhere. Bugs don't eat it, so its usually pesticide free. Perhaps a friend, family member or neighbor has some growing?

You seem less concerned about impaction and blockage that I'd expect. I thought it could be fatal if not treated.

itiswhatitis

You seem less concerned about impaction and blockage that I'd expect. I thought it could be fatal if not treated.

I think he may have been referring to some turtles get nervous and poop on car rides. Mine does anyways lol. A lot !!! Could be wrong though lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sometimes they go a few days without defecation. If nothing has changed in the routine or diet, the tortoise is hydrated, active and eating well, I'm not too concerned.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I was super nervous about mine when she didn't poop for a week, but it was fine. I'm sure your tortoise will be just fine after a nice little car ride. ;)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
+1 on the car rides. Bring a towel that you don't mind getting poopy.

Is he acting normal otherwise?

thegame2388

5 Year Member
+1 on the car rides. Bring a towel that you don't mind getting poopy.

Is he acting normal otherwise?

Yes he is. Are the car rides that effective? I mean, it's a car, not a roller coaster. It's not THAT bumpy.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've never NOT been pooped on, wanted or not, when carrying a tortoise in the car.