Newbies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Here are my babies Achilles and Maximus! Any and all critique will help! Thank you!

Attachments

• 1379665599237.jpg
    1379665599237.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1379665636526.jpg
    1379665636526.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1379665685175.jpg
    1379665685175.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 48

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
the third picture is cute, hes just smiling. haha. based on the pictures, i see you need to replace your substrate. your new tortoises need to be HUMID, and the substrate in there now will not do the trick. coconut coir is suggested for young ones like these as its easy to keep clean, stays humid, doesnt mold, is safe for them, and is easy for them to get around in. for now, it should be okay for them to be together, but as soon as you see one dominating another it is time to separate the two. now, your temps should be at about 95-100 for the basking spot, 85ish in the warm side and about 80 on the cool side of their enclosure. they do need a hide if its not already provided. if theyre in a glass enclosure for now, the sides need to be covered so they cant see out because that causes stress. for a water dish, something simple is all you need, the water shouldnt be so deep that if they flipped over in it, they would drown, and make sure its easy to get in and out of. because theyre as young as they are, you should be soaking in warm (not HOT, the general rule of thumb is it should be as warm as a baby's bath) water for about 20 minutes everyday. as for their diet, avoid all lettuces. broad-leafed greens and weeds make up 80% of their diet, and remember that variety is everything. they should get outdoor exposure for about 30 minutes at a time, at least three times a week. when theyre outside, be sure to watch over them, ad allow them to go into shade, because theyre so small they can overheat quickly. a member here, Tom, has many threads on Sulcatas as they are his specialty.

0.1.0 Russian
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all above, except,those temps need to be with 80% humidity too. Toms threads are below in my post. They are great for raising healthy, smooth sulcatas.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i knew i was forgetting something. haha. i just forgot to say exactly how humid they needed it.

0.1.0 Russian
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Thank you I'll take a picture of their enclosure! Their in a "tortoise house" the wooden one... there pictures are a few months old...I have recently changed the substrate to the green reptile carpet...but I don't see anyone on here using those either...Tom did show me his threads...we keep our house very cold so I think that doesn't help with the humidity...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile a

If they do get greens they get kale and spring mix but is mostly on a mazuri diet...I also recently found out that they don't do good in pairs...something they forget to mention in some information sites...I'm happy I'm here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Here is Achilles the day I got him...he had a lumpy shell from his previous owner...and I don't want it to continue with me =( as soon as I get home I'm going to implement the changes suggested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379686650037.jpg
    1379686650037.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.