Newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggi1980

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello

I have been reading through a few of the topics etc as I am planning on getting a tortoise. I wanted to do some research before rushing in and not knowing what I am doing!
I wondered what would be the best breed to get as this will be the first time I have had a tortoise.
I have got lots of ideas from posts as to housing so the actual house itself is not a problem, I am looking forward to making this! What is the best substrate to use and where can i get this from ( i am in the uk). Would an under heated mat be a good idea as well as a heater/uvb light? How often does the house need cleaning and do you just clean the areas that need it, rather than the whole thing?
If there is anything else you can help me with that would be great as I really want to get this right so I know exactly what I am doing.

Many Thanks in advance.

Claire

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Claire,
It's great to see someone doing their homework before getting a tortoise. I would hold off picking a substrate until you've decided on which species of tortoise you will eventually get.
I know Spur-thighed, Hermanns and Horsfields are readily available as captive born tortoises in the UK. There are also Marginated, Redfoots and Stars that are being captive born in the UK.

Danny

tiggi1980

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Claire,
It's great to see someone doing their homework before getting a tortoise. I would hold off picking a substrate until you've decided on which species of tortoise you will eventually get.
I know Spur-thighed, Hermanns and Horsfields are readily available as captive born tortoises in the UK. There are also Marginated, Redfoots and Stars that are being captive born in the UK.

Danny

I don't want to go and buy a tortoise and have it dieing on me because I dont know what I am doing. Just in a couple of days I have found out alot of very usual information so I am getting there! I have heard the Hermanns are readily avaiable and there is a breeder close to where I live so I think it is highly possible I will go for this breed.
I have been looking at the enclosures people have made and must say there are some fantastic ides. I cannot wait to start planning out my torts home!
My main concern is the lighting and heating, everything else I have a fair idea about but the lighting and heating aspect I am still very unsure about, as to what a tort needs. Any info gratefully received!

Claire

tiggi1980

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
M

Maggie Cummings

tiggi1980 said:
Hello

I have been reading through a few of the topics etc as I am planning on getting a tortoise. I wanted to do some research before rushing in and not knowing what I am doing!
I wondered what would be the best breed to get as this will be the first time I have had a tortoise.
I have got lots of ideas from posts as to housing so the actual house itself is not a problem, I am looking forward to making this! What is the best substrate to use and where can i get this from ( i am in the uk). Would an under heated mat be a good idea as well as a heater/uvb light? How often does the house need cleaning and do you just clean the areas that need it, rather than the whole thing?
If there is anything else you can help me with that would be great as I really want to get this right so I know exactly what I am doing.

Many Thanks in advance.

Claire
Claire..a Russian tort would be good for you to start with. They are small and have huge personalities. And they are very easy for a new keeper to start with...

maggie3fan said:
tiggi1980 said:
Hello

Many Thanks in advance.

Claire
[No under heating pad for any tortoise under 20 pounds. An overhead basking light will be fine...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
Hermann is a good choice for beginer, I only have 1 tortoise and he is a Hermann and I dont regret my decision :)

Alioli

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tiggi1980 said:
Hello

Many Thanks in advance.
I'm UK too. I believe that the best substrate, which is also the most natural is a mixture of play sand and topsoil, as deep at least as the tortoise is tall - but this must be kept slightly damp to avoid the tortoise becoming dehydrated (and anyway he/she will enjoy burrowing into it. In the sleeping quarters, he/she will love dry leaves to burrow into (on top of the substrate). I get my reptile lamps, lamp holder, stand, and lamp protector from Aquatics on-line's Zoo Med range, and if you think he/she might get cold at night, then you should staple a heat mat (from Euro Rep) to the SIDE of her sleeping hut (never underneath) and add a ceramic infrared 100w bulb to suspend just outside her quarters when it gets cold (infrared won't interfere with her sleeping)
If it is very young, don't hibernate it, but if it's very healthy and older, hibernate in a good sized fridge (with very reliable temperature). I really think you would be much better waiting until summer for a new tortoise - winter can be a nightmare for a new tortoise owner (I've been there) unless it's very young and used to being cooped up.
Tortoise poo is pretty obvious on a sand/soil substrate, so I just use a trowel to scoop up poo/pee with some of the soil when I see it

Claire

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Just curious - How come UK residents use American Tort sites? Don't they have them over there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
siwash said:
Just curious - How come UK residents use American Tort sites? Don't they have them over there?

Hey!! We're WORLD-WIDE!! Once something goes out over the internet, there's no "our country" or "your country" its just one great big world wide web!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
siwash, Shelled Warriors is a large Tort forum in the UK. And I go on it as do our neighbors from the UK use TFO. We at TFO believe in hands accross the world, so any and all are invited to join our site. I find it facinating to talk with people around the world about different kind of torts and turts, about natural habitat and all sorts of stuff.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
As these two ladies have already said, ALL are welcome here! UK, USA, UAE, UNameIt!

Status
Not open for further replies.