Newbie to tort forum =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kale315

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Hello fellow tort lovers. My name is Dustin. I am originally from Glens Falls, NY and just recently moved to Jacksonville, FL. I have always been more interested in exotic pets over cats and dogs and have always wanted a tortoise.

Last October me and my girlfriend looked into them a little bit and wound up buying two hatchling Sulcata's from Turtleshack.com. I didn't as much research into them as I should have as our apartment at the time was not very big. Luckily we moved with our grandparents down here and have a big area for them now.

I am have learned my lesson and am constantly reading up on sulcata. I have read countless threads on tfo and thought I need to join this wonderful community.

My torts name are Baja and Turkleton (Turk). I feed them lots of grasses, hays, greens, squash, and bell pepper. Once and a while some pumpkin and very rarely banana. I had noticed some mild pyramiding a while back and since havebeen soaking everyday. They have grown a little since and show no signs of pyramiding. I recently have seen some new dark growth rings tho.

2011-06-28_13-08-31_448.jpg (Turk left, Baja right)

2011-06-28_13-07-05_31.jpg (inside enclosure)

2011-06-28_13-06-00_914.jpg(outside patio)

Thank you for reading and for any and all advice =]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi Dustin! Welcome to TFO! :)

One thing right off the bat, Dusin...I would suggest removing the sand (?) from the indoor enclosure. Sand has a bad history w/ tortoises (possible impaction). Try something like Cypress mulch or Sphagnum peat moss (you can purchase from Lowes or Home Depot). Also if the weather is right, put them outside and let them get some sun (make sure they have access to shade) and allow them to graze on grass and weeds. We have a great Diet section here as well, I'd suggest looking through that too.

Stick around you'll get some good stuff here.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Beautiful little guys :) I second the advise on the sand.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Exactly what fernanado said, get rid of the sand and I like a mixture of cypress mulch and sphagnum peat moss and cypress mulch (it looks very nice) walmart also has peat moss. I would make an enclosure for the daytime in your backyard and move them inside at night. Your going to want to predator proof the top of it for when its outside and possibly inside if you have cats or anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dustin:

Welcome to the forum!!

Throw something together so the babies can be outside instead of on the patio. You'll be surprised at how much better they do in actual sunshine.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Cute torts! I like how their skin looks slightly orange? Or maybe it's just the lighting.
Like what others said, sand is not a good idea for substrate. I use coconut coir for my sulcata.
The patio looks nice! Take your torts outside for some sunshine :)

kale315

5 Year Member
Jacksonville, FL
I've had a feeling about the sand and will change it asap. I only use it at night and leave them on the patio (which is only half covered so they get plenty of sunlight and they bask alot) all day.

The reddish tint is from the sand.

Thanks and keep'em commingle =]

2011-06-04_14-41-07_39.jpg(baja)

Last edited by a moderator:

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) what kind of bulbs are you using? if it is a MVB I would point it straight down not on an angle :)

kale315

5 Year Member
Jacksonville, FL
I like it and they loooove it. I swear in the two months I've been here they've grown 2X as much as the 6 months I had them up there. Nothing beats natural sunlight. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.