New Hingeback Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Good evening folks. My family recently adopted a Hingeback tortoise that was in need of a home. Im comfortable caring For animals in general but I'm new to the tortoise world and am doing my best make sure the guy is well cared for. I'm hoping to gain some good insight and tips for care here on the forum. I'm not sure of the species, but from what I've found on the web, he appears to be a forest species and I've done my best to provide proper heat and humidity. The tortoise does not seem to be bothered by people, and eats voraciously. He is not overly interested in his pool, perhaps because it's on the cool side of the tank or maybe he uses it when not being watched. I look forward to learning more about this critter (currently named Turk Turkleton).

Attachments

• image-443516740.png
    image-443516740.png
    834.5 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1885438286.png
    image-1885438286.png
    874.6 KB · Views: 38

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! First I will admit I am incredibly jealous. I look high and low for these to create survivial group of them and you find one. It appears your are the very lucky caretaker of a Bells Hingeback.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Crabbityjoe!!

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome. Thanks also for the identification of the species. It sounds like you are knowledgeable about Bells hingebacks, so I'm going to shoot a few questions at you if you don't mind. I've currently got his tank at about 80 degrees with a combination of heat lamps (red) and and under tank heater on the hot side. The cool side of the tank is predominated by his bath. I'm using a store bought cypress wood chip substrate throughout and Timothy hay as well in his shelter. The bottom of the tank does not seem to get too warm for him. He spends most of his time in the shelter except to check out his food. I put his greens in the food dish and feed messier things (fruit and worms) in a separate area. I'm keeping humidity fairly high (over 70%) with a cool mist vaporizer. I have a UVB lamp, but from what im reading it may not be necessary? Please let me know if I'm treating him right or if I'm making any glaring mistakes. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.