Newbie saying hello!

Ladylikepunk

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello everyone!

I'm not yet a tortoise owner, but I'm preparing to be - so I'm joining to ask questions.

I have a juvenile common musk (Wilberforce), two retired greyhounds (Potato and Steeve), and a crested gecko (Domino). I've wanted a tortoise since I was a kid, and I'm doing all the research I can before I take the next step.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What species.are you considering?

Ladylikepunk

London
A hermans or a horsfield - because they seem to be the most common in rescues (I'd much rather rescue an adult than buy - for lots of reasons). They also seem like the more practical species based on the weather in SE England. I'd love an American box turtle or an Indian star, but I don't think I'd find one in a rescue and I'm not sure I have the indoor space for the right setup for a non-hibernating species.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You've come to the right place for the latest up to date information on tortoise care.
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A hermans or a horsfield - because they seem to be the most common in rescues (I'd much rather rescue an adult than buy - for lots of reasons). They also seem like the more practical species based on the weather in SE England. I'd love an American box turtle or an Indian star, but I don't think I'd find one in a rescue and I'm not sure I have the indoor space for the right setup for a non-hibernating species.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you are considering a rescue. Have a good read of the caresheets for the species you are looking for to check how much space etc you need and ask as many questions as you like - there are some very experienced keepers all over the world here who can give great advice.
Happy hunting!