Newbie questions... Sorry :)

euryhogs

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth, UK
Hi Guys,

We are new to the world of torts, and have learnt a lot in a short amount of time. I apologise if these have already been asked, but i couldn't easily find if they had been...

So far we have had our little shelled one for just over a week and already determined that the shop just cared about a sale and everything they told us was not entirely true. Since then s/he has had his light changed to a vertical dropping one (as opposed to a side clamp and has changing his temp from 40C to a much better 32/33C) and has also been changed to top soil, which he has been lovingly charging around for the last two days.

I have also been trawling through TTT and made sure that he has fully safe food, which he has either taken to inhaling with all his might, or ignoring entirely. I assume that he will eat when he is hungry and not otherwise :)

My main question is that since he has gone over to soil, he make his water filthy and we are worried about him having water that he has pee'd, poo'd and top-soiled in. As such we have changed the water four times today so far, are we being too protective or should we change it as often as this?

We were also given some BSP drops for his water but think that this may be too much, especially given his nutrobal as well. Would this be accurate?

Also, we have seen some talk of people drying out weeds for consumption later, especially for over-winter, is this true or did i have a weird dream of drying plants out? Would this (LINK) be ok for him as well?
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tortoise-...-FOOD-grass-/361580666122?hash=item542fe31d0a)

Just to clarify, he is 8 months old, his temps and humidity are within range and he is a hermann's.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, don't get too worried about the water. Once a day changing is fine. Surrounding the water dish with stones can help to stop the substrate ending up in the water dish. It also helps with keeping claws from growing too long :)

A daily soak of at least 20 minutes encourages pooping in the soak water and reduces the risk of pooping in the water bowl.

Your needs a tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food three times a week - no more - you can overdo it.

You can try drying weeds. Persuading your tort to eat dried weeds is another matter. We had Joe for 47 years and he never ever touched them! :rolleyes:

euryhogs

Portsmouth, UK
Thank you, we shall take a look in some stores for some stones to put in the table around the dish :) Would you recommend more coarse stones than polished (i think that i answered my own question especially given the need of keeping the claws down)...

If he won't eat the dried weeds, what wold you suggest in times when finding them is trickier? We are already starting to grow our own, so I may have already answered that one as well... sorry about me :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the winter months many keepers resort to store bought greens and a good quality pellet (you soften the pellets by soaking in water).

I use Komodo here in the UK. Mazuri (not the LS variety) is the winner in the US and has recently started being sold by Shelled Warriors Shop here in the UK. The SW shop also sells tort friendly seeds if you fancy growing your own in pots :)

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I found that my sulcata would not touch weeds and grass that I air dried over the summer months. But if I ground it up and added it to the softened pellet food; he would eat everything. And putting pots near light source that I used for UVs with grass seed; provided additional treats during the winter months. And if you can get those small pots of already planted seeds; marketed as cat grass (usually a wheat or oat ); they work good in sunny windows. You get real inventive during those 4-5 months of a winter climate. And the advise you can get here; really really helps!

TiffytheTort

In the winter months many keepers resort to store bought greens and a good quality pellet (you soften the pellets by soaking in water).

I use Komodo here in the UK. Mazuri (not the LS variety) is the winner in the US and has recently started being sold by Shelled Warriors Shop here in the UK. The SW shop also sells tort friendly seeds if you fancy growing your own in pots :)
Same. I use Komodo pellets and a wide range of greens and fruits