Newbie Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvenece

5 Year Member
Hello, I am a brand-new tortoise owner. My son's class at school had a tortoise that spent about the last year in school in a plastic storage box. The Teacher who owned the tortoise couldn't keep it at home anymore because she got a new puppy and was afraid that the puppy would chew on the tortoise. She got the tortoise as a gift a couple years earlier. She said that I could keep the tortoise if I wanted. I think I will as I can give it a better living space.

So I have been doing a lot of research on tortoises. I know that this is a Russian. They told me it was a female, but after reaserch, I believe it is a male. I have a few questions that I'm having difficulty finding the answers to. I also have questions about its shell. I would appreciate your advice.

1. Is this a male or a female?

2. I think it's shell is showing signs of calcium and UVB deficiency. I know that they only fed it romaine lettuce. I don't know if it had anything else. What do you thinkof the shell? If it gets more sun will the scales turn brown?

3. Its beak and side cheek plates look unusually long to me. Do you think I should try to trim its beak? Is there anything I can put in its cage to help trim down the size of the beak?

4. I gave it a bath in a shallow pan of warmish water. It didn't seem to like it and kept rying to crawl out. Over all it looks very clean. I have attached a picture below its underbelly and am concerned about the brownish areas there.

5. A lot of advice says if you can keep the tortoise in the warm bath long enough for it to pee that's great. My question for people who have tortoises in their homes is when a Russian tortoise wanders around the floors, does it pee and poop much?

6. I think it's toenails are just fine. They don't appear too long to me. What do you think?

7. It weighs 1 lb. 6 oz. It is about 6.5" long and 5.5" wide. Any guesses as to how old it might be?

8. It looks really healthy, eyes are clear and no sniffling. It moves around just fine. Other than a couple of Shell issues, I think it's in very good health. Should I take it to the vet to be checked out and if so? Do they give turtles any vaccinations or shots?

I have already built a portable outdoor playpen so it can go out and eat green plants, dirt and weeds and such. I'm looking for a spot along my house where it's warm to build a better cage. It is 4x4'.

It seems really tame, although it's not used to me yet. It does look up when I talk to it. When I let it out on the floor and sat down close by, it came to me twice! So I'm really happy about that!!

I know this was a long post, but I'm trying to do the best I can. Thank you in advance for your advice.
RVenece, NE illinois
Russian.JPGhead1.jpgTail1.jpgTail2.jpgbottom.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "R" and welcome to the Forum!! I know this is your "introductory" post, however, there were so many Russian related questions that I thought it would do better in the Russian section, so I moved it here.

Rvenece said:
1. Is this a male or a female?

You are correct, it is a male.

Rvenece said:
2. I think it's shell is showing signs of calcium and UVB deficiency. I know that they only fed it romaine lettuce. I don't know if it had anything else. What do you thinkof the shell? If it gets more sun will the scales turn brown?

Actually the shell doesn't look bad to me. They do change color a bit when they've been outside for a while.

Rvenece said:
3. Its beak and side cheek plates look unusually long to me. Do you think I should try to trim its beak? Is there anything I can put in its cage to help trim down the size of the beak?

Yes, the beak could use a trim. Some people use a Dremel and some use toe nail clippers. After you've trimmed it, you can feed him on a rough piece of rock or cement and it will stay trimmed. Grazing also keeps the beak in shape.

Rvenece said:
4. I gave it a bath in a shallow pan of warmish water. It didn't seem to like it and kept rying to crawl out. Over all it looks very clean. I have attached a picture below its underbelly and am concerned about the brownish areas there.

Some Russian tortoises really don't like to be put in water. You can give him his food with water sprayed on it and it helps him hydrate.

The brown spots on the plastron look like it might be shell rot. Is it soft and smelly?

Rvenece said:
5. A lot of advice says if you can keep the tortoise in the warm bath long enough for it to pee that's great. My question for people who have tortoises in their homes is when a Russian tortoise wanders around the floors, does it pee and poop much?

Yes. Its not a good idea to allow a tortoise out of his habitat. Russian tortoise poop is pretty gross. Plus they might find a small something or other to eat that would be bad for them.

Rvenece said:
6. I think it's toenails are just fine. They don't appear too long to me. What do you think?

Once you've set him up outside, walking around on the ground will keep the toenails trimmed. They look fine.

Rvenece said:
7. It weighs 1 lb. 6 oz. It is about 6.5" long and 5.5" wide. Any guesses as to how old it might be?

It is a fully grown adult tortoise. No idea of the age.

Rvenece said:
8. It looks really healthy, eyes are clear and no sniffling. It moves around just fine. Other than a couple of Shell issues, I think it's in very good health. Should I take it to the vet to be checked out and if so? Do they give turtles any vaccinations or shots?

No vaccinations necessary. And especially NO vitamin injections. If you'd like to set up a well-baby appointment, just to give your vet a chance to get his vital statistics on file for future reference, that's up to you. Some keepers do, some don't.

Rvenece said:
I have already built a portable outdoor playpen so it can go out and eat green plants, dirt and weeds and such. I'm looking for a spot along my house where it's warm to build a better cage. It is 4x4'.

If its at all possible, please make this bigger. Russian tortoises appreciate a lot of wandering space. I would say 4'x8' would be the MINIMUM!

Rvenece

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne! Great information.

The spots on the plastron are hard and dry. I was able to flake a little off with my finger. There are no soft spots, but I'll keep an eye on it. He didn't seem to mind me touching him.

I've found a great spot next to the house to put a pen. It will be about 3 x 8 and has a leakey faucet at one end for water. Also we can look right out the window to check on him.
Ronda
:shy::tort:

Rvenece

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne! Great information.

The spots on the plastron are hard and dry. I was able to flake a little off with my finger. There are no soft spots, but I'll keep an eye on it. He didn't seem to mind me touching him.

I've found a great spot next to the house to put a pen. It will be about 3 x 8 and has a leakey faucet at one end for water. Also we can look right out the window to check on him.
Ronda
:shy::tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.