Successfully trimmed my torts' beaks today

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Today I decided that it was time to trim my female Timmy's beak by myself. She has never had a beak trim (I've had her for 4 years, but she's about 30), and she started looking just a little long in the nose, inspite of feeding her on a slate and giving her good greens.

My reptile rescue friend has trimmed my other torts' beaks in the past (usually when they come to me, they have overgrown beaks and toenails), so I have watched her do it quite a few times. Since I'll have my torts for the rest of my life, I decided TODAY was a good day to learn how to do it myself.

Timmy (my female) is off in her hide hole pouting, but really it went very well, and looks good. She squirmed like crazy, but I clipped a nice clean edge, then filed it a bit.

Just had to share, because I was shy to try it, and it really was pretty un-dramatic.

Now if I could only get my shy little greek to come out of his shell long enough to trim his terribly overgrown beak... *sigh*

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
That's great! I don't even think I could trim my Russians beak without his head going back into his shell.. :p I have to learn some day later on though.. Good luck with your Greek.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Russian torts, due to their anatomy, often don't pull all the way into their shell, or rather, they might pull their head in, but don't cover themselves with their feet.
I just held Timmy, on a towel because she ALWAYS pees on me, and waited for her to stick her head out. Then quick as a wink, I held her by the neck gently but firmly with my left hand. I had the clippers and the file ready for my right hand.
She squirmed and clawed a little, but we got it done. She'll probably pout for a day or two, but then will be back to her normal self.

T Smart said:
That's great! I don't even think I could trim my Russians beak without his head going back into his shell.. :p I have to learn some day later on though.. Good luck with your Greek.

Status
Not open for further replies.