Newbie here

LingaB

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hey everyone! My family and I are in Georgia and our son has been asking for about a year for a tortoise. We have decided on a Sulcata and for the last few months we have been researching the sulcata, what we need to build a turtle table, how to care for them, etc.

We live in the country on acreage and homeschool(we've been taking on the research as a little project). We think a sulcata is perfect for us. Heck, we have an English Mastiff and a Rhodesian Ridgeback... go big or go home, right?

I've been reading the posts here for awhile, but finally decided to create an account and say Hey!

For first timers, is it better to get a hatchling? Or one that is a little more established? We are still looking for a breeder somewhat local or someone that will ship?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome, and thank you for joining BEFORE getting a tort!
A tortoise table won’t work for Sulcatas, because it’s impossible to hold the correct humidity in them.
If you haven’t already, give these links a read :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
I would buy from a breeder here on the forum. No better place to get one!
I think it’s your choice whether you get a hatchling or an established one. I started with a hatchling, and even while not getting the greatest of care, he survived and is growing rapidly! But hatchlings are still fragile, and I think the key to a thriving one is correct humidity and temps. Get those correct, and you’ll be smooth sailing :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I agree, they need a closed chamber with high humidity for a hatchling.
Also, even as an adult the dogs can never be near your sulcata as they will chew him like a toy.
Please be sure you can make him a secure outside enclosure that he can't bust out of and your dogs can't get into.
Most info you may have read outside of this forum is old wrong info. Read the links posted for you by TechnoCheese for proper care.
If you decide on a hatchling be sure it was started out in life in a humid environment with daily warm soaks. Most adults will not have been started that way.

N

no one

Hello and Welcome!! I see you already got some good advice. People here are great.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Where in Ga? I live near Atlanta and the Repticon reptile show is coming to the Gwinnett county fairground on April 14 - 15. If your close enough there will be plenty of Sulcatas, Russians, Redfoots and probably more available. I got my Redfoot at the last show and he's doing great.

LingaB

Georgia
@Toddrickfl1, We are in the Augusta area, about 2 hours east of Atlanta. We went to the Repticon in January where my oldest daughter got a Leopard Gecko she had been wanting. :)

I believe there is another in Columbus, GA next weekend, correct?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Toddrickfl1, We are in the Augusta area, about 2 hours east of Atlanta. We went to the Repticon in January where my oldest daughter got a Leopard Gecko she had been wanting. :)

I believe there is another in Columbus, GA next weekend, correct?

You are correct its in Colombus Ga next weekend. I was also there in January.