Newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshgOC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lake Forest, S. Orange County, CA
Hi. I just joined as I have just acquired two Ibera Greeks (most likely both male... yes, I know they might fight) and looking forward to advice on care. I've been exhaustingly researched all kinds of aspects/tort species over the past few weeks and decided on Greeks over Russians. For climate reference, I live in Southern, CA, about 6 miles from Laguna Beach. We have the beach close by yet the weather is much warmer as we're in a valley of sorts. A sunny day in winter is 65-75º and in summer is 70-100º.

Tort home: I/we built an outdoor pen, etc. which includes a 50gal. deck box for their outdoor enclosure that's hooked up to one 150watt CHE governed by a rheostat and thermometer. I was going to get a thermostat, but found it's a waste unless I could afford a day/night controlled version ($$$, Habistat, etc.). For now, I guess I'll be changing it manually between morning and night to keep the right temps. The enclosure is a 50sq. ft planter we have but never utilized. It is a typical stucco cinder block retaining wall planter, 18in. high, overhanging caps, has a 8" concrete base (underground) on all sides and 3 of the sides is all patio slab. We planted some edible/non-toxic plants for them so far, an extra stone-built hide, etc. I will say it looks great compared to a ton of pens I've googled. We have a large yard as well with bermudas grass so they can graze on/play while monitored.

We got them the other evening, sadly haven't been home to watch them feed yet (just nibbles). Today, we just left them dishes full of food/water. We work full time so leaving them food in the morning is our only option M-F.

So, my first question is HOW MUCH do I feed my two Greeks? The only answer I've seen is a bowl size adequate to their shell size. Is that accurate? Also, some people serve them every day vs. 2 days on 1 day off, etc. Which is best?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just want to say Hello and WELCOME:D. Also to give your post a little bump so you can get the answer your looking for.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JoshgOC:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

If you're temperatures are as you have shown, then I wouldn't think you'd need any extra heat for them. Those temps are fine for an outdoor tortoise. A sunny spot to sit and warm up, and a couple hiding places to be able to cool down, sounds fine to me.

If there are broad-leaf weeds in their pen, they can graze whenever the spirit moves them. If there is nothing to graze on, then a pile of dark, leafy greens as big as the tortoise is fine. If they clean that up too fast, it wasn't enough. If they leave a lot, it was too much. You just have to be the judge and learn by doing.

JoshgOC

5 Year Member
Lake Forest, S. Orange County, CA
My name is Josh so people call me Josh. haha

I'm not too worried about heat for them, their hide is 70-75 at night and 85-90 during the day so far and it's been warm and sunny outside since we got them ...well until today, it's grey and misting. They have a few basking spots to choose from.

Food is mostly where I question. The concensus tells me to give them an equal amount to their shell size thus far. Will know more in a few days on if they are eating it all or eating it too fast (needing more).

We have some edible plants in there (hoping they don't eat as they are more of decor), but would like to plant more food type greens/lettuces/etc. in there. I just don't know how lettuces perform, if they keep growing, if you have to harvest them(pull them out), etc. I'm not a botanist. It'd be great if I could just plant, say, some sort of collard greens, lettuces, etc. and let the torts become self sufficient feeders. For now we have the grocery store guy hooking us up with the daily leftover greens. Plus we have metasl screen over the entire enclosure so the plants can't be too tall. Suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, then, I'll call you Josh.ha ha too!! :p

I have a lettuce garden planted that I harvest every morning to feed my babies. I take the scissors and cut off the tops of as many plants as I need. By the time I have reached the end of the row and start back at the beginning, the first plants that I cut have grown enough for me to cut them again. So as long as you don't cut too far down to the roots, the lettuces will continue to grow and leaf.

Be sure to wash those trimmings from the store and look out for garbage than might have gotten mixed up in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.