Newb from SoCal

lueyh

Location (City and/or State)
Southern california
Woke up this morning and stumbled upon a small tortoise in the street asked my neighbors and no one knows who it belings to. So in the mean time how do i care for it while we look for its owners? And any idea what kind it is?

20170804_094844.jpg

Lamorna

Cornwall, UK
Woke up this morning and stumbled upon a small tortoise in the street asked my neighbors and no one knows who it belings to. So in the mean time how do i care for it while we look for its owners? And any idea what kind it is?
Hi, you could take it to the vets to see if it's micro chipped. But it might be too small to be chipped.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a russian tortoise, and not native to california, hence, someone's escaped pet.

Maitaimommy

Looks like a Russian Tortoise. Very cute:)
You'll be able to get plenty of info on how to care for him here. Best of luck to you!

Alaskamike

South Florida
It looks small , but there is little to compare it to.
Do you have a kitchen scale , ? , or could you take a pic holding him ?

Generally Russians from pet stores are 3-5 yrs old & wild caught. Imported.

Breeders in states have the hatchlings.

Good fortune with him / her. For certain it's an escaped pet. They are amazing climbers & escape artists :)

lueyh

Southern california
So whats better glass tank or rubbermaid tote? Just trying to make it as comfortable as possible while we look for the owner

Maitaimommy

I like the very large plastic rubbermaid containers. I try not to keep my tort contained for long periods of time as I've noticed he gets restless very quickly.

Maitaimommy

I just wanted to mention that the iceberg lettuce in the food bowl has very little nutritional value. Some great ideas are chicory, radiccio and frisee. Hope you've found a friend for life:) Take care.

View attachment 214672

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That tortoise has a fair bit of shell damage. I don't know enough to say whether it's recent or needs any special care; hopefully a more experienced owner will comment.

Also, welcome from another Southern California member!