new user from las vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenw91

5 Year Member
are they both sulcata's

Hi im new to posting on the forum i purchased the darker tortoise in september of 2012 the lighter one i purchased a few days ago and its suppose to be three months old but yet its bigger than my darker tortoise but mine feels heavier. could one be a male and the other a female ??? the breeder of the new tortoise said the egg that the ligther tortoise came from was kept at 85 degrees and the darker one i bought from a trucker that had bought a few of them from arizona and he said they let the tortoise have the eggs outside and didnt incubate them im just curious about if you think there sulcatas because they guy i got the lighter colored one from said mine didnt look like a sulcata in the picture i showed him thank you for taking the time to read all this

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
RE: are they both sulcata's

Welcome to the forum! :)

They're both sulcatas. Color is not an indicator of sex. Its possible that ones a male and the others a female, but its impossible to know for sure at this age (unless you pay the vet to do an invasive procedure to actually look at the internal sex organs). When the animals are bigger, you'll be able to determine sex based on the size and shape of the animals' tail, vent, anal scutes, and gulars.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The one incubated at 85 will most likely be a male. No telling with the other one until its older and bigger.

Your older one isn't growing real fast. Are you simulating the African rainy season for him, or is he in a dry desert sort of set up?

Its not a good idea to keep tortoises in pairs. In the wild they would avoid the company of another sulcata. When we force them to live together in a relatively small enclosure it can cause tremendous long term chronic stress. They see other tortoises as competition, invaders or combatants.

There is a lot of info in my signature that might help you and your tortoises.

darrenw91

5 Year Member

I've read through allot of the post on the forum about sulcata care i have two setups the one thats in the picture (35 gallon terrarium) is basicly there night enclosure i keep the coco coir moist and i make sure the humidty levels are accurate based on the information ive read on the forum. I live in las vegas so the main setup is in my back yard , the darker tortoise is 8 months older than the lighter one i recently purchased and its smaller but feels heavier than the new lighter colored tortoise and there head shapes are different too . thanks for making me feel welcome :D

darrenw91

5 Year Member

the darker one is the one ive had the ligther one is the new one. i think there both sulcatas the ligther one is 3 months old the darker one is 10 months old

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to the forum . I would follow Tom's care tips he knows his stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Darren.

Status
Not open for further replies.