Hello from Las Vegas, NV

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Hello,
From Las Vegas, NV. As a kid I use to have a large desert tortoise that would roam the backyard, that was years ago. Well, now I would like to get another tortoise that I can keep outside year round.

I plan on digging a burrow for the tortoise - seen several youtube video's on doing this. My yard is small about 900 sqft and I would like to get a tortoise that can survive and thrive in my backyard year round. I have no other pets so it would get to use the entire yard which is fenced in and it cant see outside the backyard, plenty of shade, hiding areas, desert landscape, a small patch of grass, etc.

Which tortoise would you recommend that can live happily in the Las Vegas, NV climate year round outside? I was thinking about getting a Russian tortoise but not sure as I would like something that can grow a little bit bigger, maybe a Hermans?

Thank you for the help and recommendations.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi! Welcome from AZ:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Whatever you get, it might be a good idea to do lots of research about that species' hibernating habits. Some tortoises get along ok outside hibernating and others do better boxed up safely indoors.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Have a look at our species specific section and under each species you will find care sheets pinned near the top of the threads list.
Reading these will give you a good idea of the requirements of each type of tortoise and help you make your decision.
Good luck.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Whatever tort you pick, good luck, and please do not forget to post pics. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
From Las Vegas, NV. As a kid I use to have a large desert tortoise that would roam the backyard, that was years ago. Well, now I would like to get another tortoise that I can keep outside year round.

I plan on digging a burrow for the tortoise - seen several youtube video's on doing this. My yard is small about 900 sqft and I would like to get a tortoise that can survive and thrive in my backyard year round. I have no other pets so it would get to use the entire yard which is fenced in and it cant see outside the backyard, plenty of shade, hiding areas, desert landscape, a small patch of grass, etc.

Which tortoise would you recommend that can live happily in the Las Vegas, NV climate year round outside? I was thinking about getting a Russian tortoise but not sure as I would like something that can grow a little bit bigger, maybe a Hermans?

Thank you for the help and recommendations.

Hello and welcome.

Burrows are good for escaping the intense summer heat, but there are too many unpredictable variables to be able to safely leave any species outside all winter long. Yes, some will manage to survive this way in some situations, but many die. Best to bring them inside and hibernate them safely, or get a species that doesn't hibernate and build them a temperature controlled box for nights and cold days.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I know the http://tortoisegroup.org/ will let you adopt a desert tortoise and you have to dig a burrow for it and it must live outdoors year round. Because my yard is pretty small, I dont think a desert tortoise would have enough space to roam around, thats why I was looking at a differnt smaller species that could tolerate the outside temps of Las Vegas year round, like the native desert tortoise.

So far, it seems my choices would be the Russian tortoise, Hermans tortoise, or the Greek tortoise. I would love to have a Sulcata but like I said my yard is too small, but that is just one bad *** looking tortoise. I am also very found of the India Star tortoise just not sure I could one happy. Actually I pretty much like all tortoises - I am a Tortoiseholic and I need help, its a disease I tell you, a disease I have no control over. :)

I still have not made a final decision and still have not decided on if I should get two babies or two adults. If I get the babies I was going to buy a ZooMed Tortoise House then put them in the backyard when they are bigger. If I get adults they will be in the backyard year round, but I am torn, torn like an old sweater on which route to take.

Planning on purchasing captive breed tortoises from http://tortoisesupply.com/ since they are local in Vegas and seem to have a good reputation any other recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks again, keep the recommendations, photos of indoor & out habitats, and of course of your :tort:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I know the http://tortoisegroup.org/ will let you adopt a desert tortoise and you have to dig a burrow for it and it must live outdoors year round. Because my yard is pretty small, I dont think a desert tortoise would have enough space to roam around, thats why I was looking at a differnt smaller species that could tolerate the outside temps of Las Vegas year round, like the native desert tortoise.

So far, it seems my choices would be the Russian tortoise, Hermans tortoise, or the Greek tortoise. I would love to have a Sulcata but like I said my yard is too small, but that is just one bad *** looking tortoise. I am also very found of the India Star tortoise just not sure I could one happy. Actually I pretty much like all tortoises - I am a Tortoiseholic and I need help, its a disease I tell you, a disease I have no control over. :)

I still have not made a final decision and still have not decided on if I should get two babies or two adults. If I get the babies I was going to buy a ZooMed Tortoise House then put them in the backyard when they are bigger. If I get adults they will be in the backyard year round, but I am torn, torn like an old sweater on which route to take.

Planning on purchasing captive breed tortoises from http://tortoisesupply.com/ since they are local in Vegas and seem to have a good reputation any other recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks again, keep the recommendations, photos of indoor & out habitats, and of course of your :tort:
tortoisesupply.com is recommended. It is not a good idea to get 2. Tortoises are territorial and don't do well in pairs. They don't want or need company.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
tortoisesupply.com is recommended. It is not a good idea to get 2. Tortoises are territorial and don't do well in pairs. They don't want or need company.

Well that is good information to know! I guess people just assume they would want a friend. Do you know what species of tortoises would be okay to keep as a pair?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Pairs rarely work.
Three's or bigger groups can, but only if you have a lot of space, so with your limited area, it is probably best to get one.
Tortoises don't need friends and dislike company.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

Since you are in the desert, I'd think a desert tortoise would be best suited to the climate! What size space does the conservation society suggest; is it more than 900 ft? Russians are very active species and won't necessarily require less space than a desert tortoise. Ours is in about 600 square feet. It's a good space but she would easily make use of a much larger area. I'm no expert but think the same would go for a Hermann's or a Greek.

I would also question whether Las Vegas gets cold enough in the winter for a Russian to safely hibernate. Since tortoisesupply is local to you, have you asked what their experience is with outdoor hibernation? Desert tortoises can tolerate milder winter temperatures; that is why they are suggested as year round in your area. :) Our winters are mild, like yours, so our Russian hibernates indoors, in a fridge.

Tortoises are solitary animals that see other tortoises as competition, not friends. You would need a large space and the ability to keep them separately if one becomes aggressive.

Keep up your research; this is a great place to learn about proper care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Having a small body doesn't equate to needing a smaller living space. Russian tortoises are hard-wired to wander over great distances looking for food. When kept in a small space they get stressed and are continually looking to get out. Exactly how small a space are we talking here? My Russian tortoise's yard is only about 16' x 32'. That's pretty small, but large enough for my Russian tortoise.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Having a small body doesn't equate to needing a smaller living space. Russian tortoises are hard-wired to wander over great distances looking for food. When kept in a small space they get stressed and are continually looking to get out. Exactly how small a space are we talking here? My Russian tortoise's yard is only about 16' x 32'. That's pretty small, but large enough for my Russian tortoise.

Okay, I guess I am down to getting one tortoise, thank you everyone for the advice of just getting one tortoise. Now to decide if I want a Russian, Hermans, or Greek tortoise as I have been told all of these would do well in Las Vegas, NV outdoors year round by http://kampkenan.com/ great website and videos by the way.

I will look into adopting a desert tortoise their website states 600 sqft yard size. Next time I am home from Iraq I contact them for more information. Their website has info on making a burrow for them.

I still plan on digging the burrow for it to live outside and the tortoise will have access the entire yard space. I am also considering getting a baby and keeping it in a zoomed tortoise house until it gets bigger and that would give me more time to figure out how I want to landscape the yard to suit the tortoise's needs and keep it happy.

So for those of you with Russian, Hermans, or Greeks which do you prefer and why?

I appreciate all the information and help.