New turtle questions...

Have you ever taken care of a baby tortoise/turtle?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I posted something like this on my Yahoo! Answers account, but they don't have the most turtle-savvy people there, mostly snake and lizard people, so I came here as well. So today I went to Oregon's Reptile Expo and I was super lucky and got a three or four year old (I'll say she's almost four) Eastern Box Turtle, Ginny. She's about three and a half inches long (the seller had a permit so it was okay) ANYWAY, she's in a tank in my room right now (my puppy Cody won't stop barking at the moving rock, he hates turtles but is still afraid of them, thank goodness) and it's a little too big. There's a screen on the top... Do you think I could keep her outside if I needed to, on sunny, warm days? :tort: I was thinking I should keep her in the tank for about a month, then I could let her into the pen with my other EBT, Shelly (for short periods of time, probably under supervision) until Shelly's hibernation time rolled around and he went into the garage for wintery dreams. (Ginny would go back into the tank for the winter, I was told after my sweet turtle Bella died in February after hibernation you're not supposed to hibernate turtles on their first year--it was Bella's first year, sadly I didn't even get to have her for an entire year :( )

Just to let you all know, I'm kind of babying Ginny. I don't want anything to happen to her because she's so sweet! This whole little-turtle thing is sort of a new concept for me, I've only had adult turtles (Shelly's around forty-sevenish and Bella was twenty-one) so having this sweet little baby turtle who doesn't freak out and hiss at you when you come around is really special to me.

Oh, last question, by age three and a half, would Gin's hatch be fully developed? (Is it called a hatch, the hinged part? Or is it called something else?)

And if any of you guys have advice, it is much appreciated, because I know how to handle turtles but I don't know how to handle babies, and I really don't want to accidentally kill Ginny.

Thanks so much!

P.S I attached a picture of Miss Gin, she's so cute :)

Attachments

• P081812_1336[01].jpg
    P081812_1336[01].jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME. I can't help much. But what I can say, is always get them out in the sun when weather permits. I also know that you do not have to hibernate them at all if you don't want to. The hatch/hing, I am not sure what you are talking about, but others will be able to help.

BTW, I am raising a 17 month old leopard tort. I have had him since he was around two months. After wrong advice from breeder I found this site. I don't look any place else for help. This site, helped me turn things around and he is now growing smooth and is and has been very healthy, knock on wood:)

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
USA
wellington said:
Hello and WELCOME. I can't help much. But what I can say, is always get them out in the sun when weather permits. I also know that you do not have to hibernate them at all if you don't want to. The hatch/hing, I am not sure what you are talking about, but others will be able to help.

BTW, I am raising a 17 month old leopard tort. I have had him since he was around two months. After wrong advice from breeder I found this site. I don't look any place else for help. This site, helped me turn things around and he is now growing smooth and is and has been very healthy, knock on wood:)

Thanks! I know, I read once that sometimes turtles can cost more than dogs, which I didn't believe, because you have to constantly buy big bags of dog food (I have three dogs so... big bags of food), leashes, toys, dishes, collars, licenses, plus vet visits (Shelly & Ginny will only go to the vet if there is something absolutely wrong with them) but with Ginny, I kind of realized that turtles DO cost a lot. Having only Shelly for ten and a half years was a piece of cake and we hardly spent any money on him besides building two enclosures (one at our old house, one at our new) and getting some food for that little ol' man. But I'm talking about stuff nobody cares about, so... I'm going to shut up now:)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Yes, the hinge should be fully developed, and she should be able to close all the way. It's your choice to hibernate or not. There are benefits to either way. I find that more than a couple are difficult to keep indoors for a long stretch in the winter. As far as I'm concerned, the more time outside the better. I take month old ones outside everyday. As far as quarantine goes, personally, I keep it short, usually a week. I watch them carefully during this time, and monitor eating and behavior. However, most will recommend a longer time and that's probably wise. Have you gotten her to eat yet?

bigred21220

5 Year Member
I would not put her out in the tank as the glass will intensify the heat from the sun and may over heat your tort. Get a tote or concrete mixing tub to put her in outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.