New Tortoise Table

CreativeChannah

Location (City and/or State)
Providence, RI
Hi everyone! I'm the proud mommy of Mortimer the Tortimer, or Morty the Tortie for short, a full grown male of unknown age. We were told 3 years by petco, but really, I doubt they know the age of their wc torts. I know it's controversial getting a Petco tortoise, but seeing his sad condition at the store, we couldn't be happier about our decision to get him. He's part of the family and he's so fun and happy! We are not thrilled with his indoor enclosure and are wanting to upgrade to something better before Rhode Island winter sets in and he can't be taken out for walks in the grass.

I found a great sale for a raised garden table. It's only $90 and its 70"x24"wide, 11" deep. https://www.hayneedle.com/product/c...bed70lx24dx29hin.cfm?ltype=child&tid=XCD024-1

What I'm wondering is how to waterproof the inside without a tarp, because Morty loves to rip plastic and will try to until he does. Can I use TriCoPolymer VOC Free Non Toxic Lumber-Seal 1 gal. Clear Satin Wood Sealer which states it is pet and even child safe on the inside?

Any other tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Channah

Attachments

• 20170803_190150.jpg
    20170803_190150.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yes. Another option would be a latex based alkyd enamel in a semi or full gloss finish. A coating is always going to be better than a liner. Liners don't last, they don't lay flat and if something penetrates the liner creating a small hole moisture and water can seep under the liner creating a potential growth bed for mold and fungus on bare wood.