New Tortoise Table

dan1972

Just made a new Tortoise Table for my Tortoise, Bert, as his old one was getting to small. I'm now finding it hard to know what to put in it as it's so much bigger, any ideas would be great thanks...!

IMG_20170107_192049.jpg IMG_20170107_192041.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Lol! Shuffleboard anyone?

Hi and welcome to the Forum!!

That's a nice-sized table for a Hermann's tortoise. You can put in plants, either real or fake, a big rock, a couple different hiding places. Stagger different things around to block him from being able to see across the length of the whole table (sight barriers). This makes his world seem a whole lot bigger.

You may need to rethink your light bar though. It might be better going the length instead of the width. It will be hard to keep that length warm when your only heat source is on a crossways bar at one end.

Is your Hermanni a baby or an adult?

BILBO-03

That's a cool looking table, And big!
How big is your tortoise?

dan1972

Lol! Shuffleboard anyone?

Hi and welcome to the Forum!!

That's a nice-sized table for a Hermann's tortoise. You can put in plants, either real or fake, a big rock, a couple different hiding places. Stagger different things around to block him from being able to see across the length of the whole table (sight barriers). This makes his world seem a whole lot bigger.

You may need to rethink your light bar though. It might be better going the length instead of the width. It will be hard to keep that length warm when your only heat source is on a crossways bar at one end.

Is your Hermanni a baby or an adult?
Thanks very much, and my tortoise it 7 years old...

dan1972

I put him in today and all he is doing it trying to get out I don't know what to do...!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Can we see a picture of the finished enclosure?
Sometimes the "trying to get out" is because they don't like the change, other times something catches their eye and they are trying to get to it.

dan1972

IMG_20170108_171603491.jpg IMG_20170108_171556525.jpg IMG_20170108_163310034.jpg
Can we see a picture of the finished enclosure?
Sometimes the "trying to get out" is because they don't like the change, other times something catches their eye and they are trying to get to it.

Here you go, I don't think he want to get out because he has seen something as all around him are grey walls.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
is there a specific spot that he tried to climb out from?
One of the members had a "climbing & flipping" issue a few months back and apparently it was because of an orange colored item in the enclosure, lol. after that was taken out, the tortoise calmed down.
But maybe give him a few days to see?

Nice rocks btw, is that paper in one corner?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Well it seems to be near the plant pot I'll take it out tomorrow and see if it effects him.

Also yeah it paper for his beeding is it the right thing to do?

Thanks
Maybe he just likes to climb. Max climbs his log hide every now & then.
Paper is dry and gets nasty when wet. I would take it out. I would just add a bit more damp substrate on that side. Or a plant that kind of hides his sleeping spot so he doesnt feel so exposed

dan1972

Maybe he just likes to climb. Max climbs his log hide every now & then.
Paper is dry and gets nasty when wet. I would take it out. I would just add a bit more damp substrate on that side. Or a plant that kind of hides his sleeping spot so he doesnt feel so exposed
Thank you very much for all of your help..!

Dan

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When I have changed the enclosures for my Hermann's tortoise, she always seems very scared and runs, and climbs frantically for the first few days. I started putting things she can easily HIDE in, and she calmed down quickly.
She hides a lot for the first few days, then she feels better with her new surroundings and strolls around more normally.
I most often get a plastic tub that is a good bit larger than her, turn it upside down and cut a good sized entrance hole in it.
She also loves palm tree "boots" but they're a bit big for an indoor enclosure.
Good luck!!!! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Looking at your enclosure again, I would definitely add a bunch of plants. The live ones will help keep the humidity up and my tort LOVES getting herself half-dug into the roots of the Boston ferns to sleep. Fake plants will help, too- it makes them feel safer and much less exposed.