New Tortoise Owner!

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hi All!
My name is Sophy, and I am a very new Russian Tortoise owner. I got my Russian Tortoise yesterday so I think he is still adapting to his new habitat.

He is about 4 inches long (from head to tail) and I was wondering if anyone could make an estimate of how old he is...?

His cage is all set up, he has basking and UV lights, a basking rock, a (big) water dish, one hide box, one tunnel and lots of food. I think he may have nibbled a bit at his fresh food but not his store bought stuff....is there any reason why?

Also does anyone walk their tort? I've heard about that and thought it sounded super cool, but I know they can get worms from grazing and stuff...so opinions on that? Also what is the ideal temperature for tortoises when they are outside...like 85 degrees? Or higher?[/size][/font]

So far he has been a great pet and I was just wondering if any tortoise owners have suggestions for me, or facts that I don't know yet.

Thanks Everyone!!
Sophy & Vinnie:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sophy, and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Sophy. Welcome to the forum.

Here is a Russian tortoise care sheet that should help you:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

To answer some of your other question and warn of some possible dangers:

No way to know how old he is. Most likely between 4 and 40.

What sort of UV light are you using? The coil type cfl bulbs can sometimes damage tortoise eyes. I would not use one.

The big ramped water bowls that the pet stores sell are literally death traps for tortoises. Inexpensive terra cotta plant saucers from the hardware store are the best and safest water bowls.

You'll have to tell us what the "store bought" food is for ideas on that. If its the multi-colored Rep-Cal food, your tortoise is not alone in skipping it.

Outdoor grazing in a safe, escape proof enclosure is the best thing ever for tortoises. They can get worms from many sources, but that shouldn't stop anyone from giving their tortoise optimal care.

"Walking" your tortoise is pretty risky. Best to section off a large portion of the back yard and make that their enclosure for all the walking they want.

Russians actually start heading for cover when outside temps are up to 85. They can be outside and active as long as its sunny and above 60 degrees or so. They are probably most comfortable and active when temps are in the 70s.

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
The store bought food I am using is called: Natural Grassland Tortoise food, I have heard good things about it and little Vinnie really seems to enjoy it (after I left him alone for about 2 hours half of the serving I gave him was gone).

Thanks for the tip on outdoor grazing, once he gets used to his new life I plan on buying a wire fence that will be about 3 feet by four feet for him to go into maybe once or twice a week (weather permitting).

Also he is being really shy, like he will move around a lot and when I come into the room he either stays really still or goes into his shell. Is there a way I can make him become more used to me?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Russians are very shy, generally speaking. Give him time to get familiar to a steady routine. Keeping to a routine will help him know what to expect and when. It's during these routines that you can get him comfortable with your handling him. Welcome to the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Vinnie_the_Tortoise said:
The store bought food I am using is called: Natural Grassland Tortoise food, I have heard good things about it and little Vinnie really seems to enjoy it (after I left him alone for about 2 hours half of the serving I gave him was gone).

Thanks for the tip on outdoor grazing, once he gets used to his new life I plan on buying a wire fence that will be about 3 feet by four feet for him to go into maybe once or twice a week (weather permitting).

Also he is being really shy, like he will move around a lot and when I come into the room he either stays really still or goes into his shell. Is there a way I can make him become more used to me?

Give him some time to settle in for a couple of weeks. After that you can try hand feeding him treats to give him a positive association with you.

3x4' is too small. Think BIG! Russians have huge territories in the wild and they need to move around a lot. I like a minimum of 4x8', but bigger is much better. Also, you will need something that offers a visual barrier. Tortoises should not be able to see through their outdoor enclosure walls. Sometimes they do not perceive fencing as a barrier and they will continually try to push through the barrier, which can injure them. I like to use slumpstone block or painted plywood outside, but other opaque things will work too.

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks guys!! I will work on it and try to show you some pictures when it is done. Other then being shy so far he is A-MA-ZING!!!

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Oh, and to anyone looking for their tortoise to be like....less afraid of them I read a post that said if you scratch your tortoises shell (with your finger nails) he likes it. So I did, and Vinnie came out of his shell almost immediately.
Is this okay to do? I don't want to damage Vinnie's shell or irritate him!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do that to my reds/ sulcata's . They seem to like it . They will shake there butts funny stuff . Even the 30 lbs sulcata I got from Kelly does it he's a but shaker . Ha ha

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Vinnie_the_Tortoise said:
Oh, and to anyone looking for their tortoise to be like....less afraid of them I read a post that said if you scratch your tortoises shell (with your finger nails) he likes it. So I did, and Vinnie came out of his shell almost immediately.
Is this okay to do? I don't want to damage Vinnie's shell or irritate him!

I think You'll know if it irritates him. I'm pretty sure my little guy hates it! If I scratch or rub his shell in the back he immediately runs away! Some torts really like it tho. But he does love his head and neck rubbed :)

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
At this point my tortoise is still a bit iffy about me touching his head, but once he gets used to it I think he will like a good petting there too.