New to torts and here ( but not reptiles in general ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
Hey all, New here!

My Partner and I are looking into getting our first tort soon ( lots and lots of hours researching everything, doublechecking and triplechecking info! I already have diet planned out and have many ways to obtain and grow the food we will need through organic, pesticide free means) We are getting prepared for everything BEFORE purchase. of course! ( Uvb, che,* already have tstats* substrate, hides, food...)

So far no serious questions seem to be presenting themselves to me, but once we get everything set up and ready/calibrated I will post a photo for you all. ( making sure humidity, temps and all are ready and set so we can adjust as necessary)

We just built our table 20" x 4' and 11" high walls and are planning on a sulcata ( I absolutely am prepared for the size and are actually really looking forward to it! We will make sure he or she gets plenty of sun and grazing time outdoors too even just as a wee one! When ready, an outdoor pen will be provided!), looking at peoples photos this size table seemed pretty reasonable starting size for one single animal ( surprisingly there are not a lot of numbers regarding table size and some stuff is conflicting, so im just going by tables used for multiples and went from there), but we can build another pretty easily when this is out grown( access to metal/machine shop any time * partner does metalwork for a living* ) while still an indoor tort. Once large enough ( we will be in a much warmer climate by then than the northeast!) an outdoor enclosure will be made :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mooingtricycle:

Welcome!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
" WELCOME TO THE FORUM " ... a great place with fun people and tons of resources.
JD~:)

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
Seriously, this place is an insanely awesome wealth of information. I already see it and am VERY excited to be here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Wow you are extremely detailed in your planning, good for you! Why did you decided on a tortoise let alone a sulcata? Also interesting name you have. :D

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
I just found them to be absolutely fascinating!! Id someday love Aldabra too.. but for now, especially while im just starting, A single sulcatta will suffice! They initially caught my eye a few years ago, at reptile shows, "cute little beasties!, I want them!" But absolutely did not allow myself until i had all the knowledge i felt i needed to be a good keeper. Ive since just read and read about them and dreamed and researched other, smaller species too, just to be sure. Simply because they drew my interest more than other species. Pretty much. I enjoy a challenge ( not hard, just more things to focus on!) in keeping... I have a few neat species ( snakes) on my bucket list in life as well! Ill get to them someday! some of these are Mussurana, Indigos, P. carinata , A group of Xenopeltis and a few others too. Non snakes would be Fly River turtles ( imagining a massive aquatic setup for those!!) Green Tree Monitors... and im sure more in time. But these are all mostly on the waiting list until Im sure we are ready. I may only get to work with the snake species, which is perfectly acceptable too. Particularly Mussurana and Ptyas...

I currently keep a few short tailed pythons, Sumatrans ( P. curtus) and a male Borneo ( P. breitensteini) as well as Bogertophis subocularis ( Trans Pecos Ratsnake) ;)

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
Hmmm, must be Fuana. Kind of an unforgettable name, you know, lol.

:) I used to live there, now im posting a little less and reading more. I have a lot more stuff to do so im not always sitting at the PC anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.