It was my Wife’s idea

Chris Stannard

Location (City and/or State)
Reading
I look forward to gaining some incites and expertise from this highly recommended forum. My Wife and I have kept tortoises as children, and now we are older we are looking forward to our new Herman’s. Gives us an excuse to get the Will ready, and we already have our Grandson showing such great interest. I will update after the collection on Monday. For now the tortoise table is set up and awaiting it’s new owner.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I look forward to gaining some incites and expertise from this highly recommended forum. My Wife and I have kept tortoises as children, and now we are older we are looking forward to our new Herman’s. Gives us an excuse to get the Will ready, and we already have our Grandson showing such great interest. I will update after the collection on Monday. For now the tortoise table is set up and awaiting it’s new owner.
Welcome from Devon and congratulations. I went to uni in Reading many years ago, and thought it was a great place.
It is so sensible of you to have everything organised before you get your tortoise,and you will have all the help and advice you may need from people here.
We have a Herman's tortoise, and he is almost 22 now - he is well and happy, and the most important member of the household, obviously, but I do wish I had known then what I know now - there was very little information around - and what there was often turned out to be wrong !
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I want to make you aware that most of the care and housing info you get for tortoises from pet shops and on line is all wrong. Even breeders tend to have and give the wrong care info. Wrong substrate, wrong size or type of enclosure, wrong lights, etc...

If you are getting an adult, then an open table will work great, but it must be at least 122x244cm. If you are getting a baby, then an open table will make it very difficult to maintain the correct temperatures and humidity.

Here is the correct care info:

Your questions are welcome. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
If you follow Tom's up to date caresheet your tort should thrive and there's always someone around to answer questions.
There have been many improvements in tort welfare since I was a kid, so if you post pics of your enclosure you'll get good feedback on making it as safe as possible. As Tom said pet shops know very little about tort care. They often sell unsuitable or unsafe equipment such as lamps that damage eyes or shells, inaccurate thermometers, potentially harmful substrate and dangerous water dishes etc. for profit. There may be things you can return if they aren't right so we could save you some money.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome! I'd love to see pictures once your new guy or gal is all set up.