New here from TX

KimM28

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello everyone! My name is Kim, and my family and I are new to the tortoise family. I grew up with sea turtles, but tortoises are a whole new world for me. We also have 2 dogs. A great dane and a chihuahua. We live in Texas and love it all though I would much rather be home in the Pacific.

My youngest son just turned 8 and has been asking for a tortoise since he was 2 and met one at the Zoo. We figured after 6 years, it was about time. We got Koopa, our Russian just last week. After reading the begginer tips and russian care post here I see that almost everything we were told at the reptile store is the opposite of what we should be doing so we are working to get him properly situated and happy.

Right now he is inside but we will be getting his outdoor home ready soon.

I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone. Cheers to a great week!

Kim

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just read all the threads you can in the Russian section . Don't buy any enclosure build your own it's way cheaper . Nothing I've seen in pet shops are big enough for tortoise care . Welcome to the forum . I'm sure Tom will on soon to give you more information.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kim!

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Welcome from a fellow Texan! Do you live on the coast? Sea turtles are pretty cool but tortoises are simply the best. :) I don't know about russians, but the humidity here is perfect for keeping redfoots outside! Good luck!