New to tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi, I'm new to tortoises (and enclosures for that matter :p) And I just got fluffy 2 days ago and this is the enclosure I have come up with. It is just one of those cement mixing tubs from Home Depot with Bed-A-Beast and play sand bedding, with some flat rocks, a tunnel, a plant (Safe to eat according to http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=439 ) and a uva/b lamp (Hung up out of the picture) and a heat lamp. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or if I should change anything so I would love some input. Fluffy is a Russian tortoise and about 2 years old. Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_20121008_112046.jpg
    IMG_20121008_112046.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 173

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Marissa!

Your habitat is very eye-pleasing, however, in my opinion, it is way too small for that size Steppe tortoise. By the way, I LOVE "FLUFFY" for a tortoise name!!!

Is there any way you can set him up outside? I don't know how easy it would be to cut off an end of that tub, but maybe putting two of them together, end-to-end would be a better deal???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I agree, too small. You be fine for a short time for a hatchling. I would either join two together, or get two 50 gallon plastic tote tubs and put those together. Unless you can put him outside. Also, I didn't see a water source. He needs a water dish he can get in and out of easily. The clay saucers that go under plant pots work good.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
Welcome! Be prepared to learn muc more than you thought possible. We are so glad you joined and made an effort to provide the best possible home for fluffy.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Welcome on the forum.
Agree with Wellington. ;)

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hi, Well I can't put him outside because it's already getting rainy and cold here and we have 4 dogs. Plus we are in the process of moving to a new place and we don't want to tear apart the backyard and set up everything just to leave. I was told that as long as they were soaked several times a week they didn't need a constant source of water. Also the fluffy was living in a 10 gallon aquarium with her sister so I thought this size was an upgrade. I don't really have much room for a larger enclosure in the room I'm in now but she does get about an hour or 2 of natural sun outside during the day when it's not too cold or wet.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
MarissaRelf said:
Hi, Well I can't put him outside because it's already getting rainy and cold here and we have 4 dogs. Plus we are in the process of moving to a new place and we don't want to tear apart the backyard and set up everything just to leave.

I was told that as long as they were soaked several times a week they didn't need a constant source of water. Also the fluffy was living in a 10 gallon aquarium with her sister so I thought this size was an upgrade.

I don't really have much room for a larger enclosure in the room I'm in now but she does get about an hour or 2 of natural sun outside during the day when it's not too cold or wet.

if you can't build an enclosure where you are, try to plan one for the new place you move to. until then he can be in temporary housing.

tortoises do need constant water. you can and should soak him but he still needs a bowl of water. there is no need to deprive him of a drink should he want it. i see my tortoise drink very often from his dish..

you are correct, this is an upgrade from a 10gal tank with another tort. but not enough of one. ;) the less room he has to roam about, the less he'll move. the more sedentary he'll become and it can affect his health and definitely his state of mind. imagine staying in a room the size of your bathroom with no tv, no movies, no internet or facebook. all day, every day....super boring. so the more you can give him the better for him. lots of people do 2 story enclosures. that can give more space to the tort and use less space for you.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. We must think alike. I have two of those large cement tubs that I joined together to make the inside enclosure. If you plan to do that, make sure you seal the edges with tough glue and place clamps on each side so that you can move it without breaking up the enclosure. Everything looks good except for the water dish. Fluffy would need that changed every day. You may not see him drink, but believe me, they do. When u move, please let us know how you'll prepare for an outside enclosure when the weather gets warmer. Everyone here can help and give you some great ideas.

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
Team Gomberg said:
if you can't build an enclosure where you are, try to plan one for the new place you move to. until then he can be in temporary housing.

tortoises do need constant water. you can and should soak him but he still needs a bowl of water. there is no need to deprive him of a drink should he want it. i see my tortoise drink very often from his dish..

you are correct, this is an upgrade from a 10gal tank with another tort. but not enough of one. ;) the less room he has to roam about, the less he'll move. the more sedentary he'll become and it can affect his health and definitely his state of mind. imagine staying in a room the size of your bathroom with no tv, no movies, no internet or facebook. all day, every day....super boring. so the more you can give him the better for him. lots of people do 2 story enclosures. that can give more space to the tort and use less space for you.

Should she still live outside when it's rainy and cold? I wasn't really considering an indoor enclosure to be temporary considering we get rain and cold here for 9 months of the year or more. So should she just live outside for the 3 other months?

Okay, I will make sure to get a water bowl in. Should it be big enough to soak in or just to drink out of?

How do you make a 2 story enclosure? That sounds perfect for the limited space I have.

Sorry about all the questions :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
always ask away! ;)

forgive me, i should have asked you this before, where do you live? your location will definitely play a role on if he is housed outside and for how long.

one of the best water dishes (and cheapest) is to get a flower pot saucer. i dont recall the actual name for it. its the shallow dish you put under a potted plant so the water that drains out doesn't make a wet mess all over your table. Wal Mart sells them glazed in colors or plain. they are heavy enough to not flip, he can crawl into it or just pass through it.

have some fun flipping through the tortoise enclosure section and you'll see some different tortoise enclosures and some that are 2 story!!

i actually have the same cement tub you do. i also have one that is larger than that one, and was only $13. (they aren't currently being used) i found someone on youtube who used the larger tub and built a second story for it..build a ramp and platform. it was cute and for a russian.

here is a picture of the water dish i am referring to.

my guy is still too small to climp in and out on his own. so i have the rocks around the edge and in the dish to give him extra footing ;)

once he is larger he wont need them there. your russian wont need them either.

Attachments

• 444 004.JPG
    444 004.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 65

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
Team Gomberg said:
always ask away! ;)

forgive me, i should have asked you this before, where do you live? your location will definitely play a role on if he is housed outside and for how long.

one of the best water dishes (and cheapest) is to get a flower pot saucer. i dont recall the actual name for it. its the shallow dish you put under a potted plant so the water that drains out doesn't make a wet mess all over your table. Wal Mart sells them glazed in colors or plain. they are heavy enough to not flip, he can crawl into it or just pass through it.

have some fun flipping through the tortoise enclosure section and you'll see some different tortoise enclosures and some that are 2 story!!

i actually have the same cement tub you do. i also have one that is larger than that one, and was only $13. (they aren't currently being used) i found someone on youtube who used the larger tub and built a second story for it..build a ramp and platform. it was cute and for a russian.

here is a picture of the water dish i am referring to.

my guy is still too small to climp in and out on his own. so i have the rocks around the edge and in the dish to give him extra footing ;)

once he is larger he wont need them there. your russian wont need them either.

I live in northern Oregon (about 20 min north of Salem.)

They're called Terra-Cotta dishes I think. I need to get one, I will look this weekend, right now she has a saucer.

I have looked but I haven't seen any 2 story enclosures yet. I will keep my eye out.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome to the forum. I'm in the same neck of the woods as you. My Russians go out at 65 and then I bring them in in the evening. Getting Fluffy out of that small space with a second tortoise will certainly improve both they're lives.
The constant drizzle and overcast days we get certainly are a downer for the torts. Right now my Russians are out 11-12hours a day. I'm not worried about the rain we've got forecast for this weekend in that I don't think it will be too much. The real important thing about them is that they don't have to say cold the entire time. No opportunity to warm up will likely end in illness. Spring-Fall, while the nights are above 55 and the days get to 70, I feel they can stay out all nite provided they have a safe secure enclosure. Ask questions, it's how we learn…

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
since you are in the same area as Cowboy Ken and you both keep russians I encourage you to pick his brain on details about being kept outside!! He gave you great tips already with the temp ranges he leaves them out etc. but if you want more specifics ask! :)

menkerose

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
Welcome to TFO! You will surely learn a lot here!

Mattgrizzlybear is your profile pic of a sulcata? Does it have that red color because it is a male? Absolutely gorgeous

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
menkerose said:
Mattgrizzlybear is your profile pic of a sulcata? Does it have that red color because it is a male? Absolutely gorgeous

I believe it's a cheryhead you see all its red they are not because he is a male like box turtle males have red eyes :D

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No it is a baby redfoot tort. He was hatched in may, so he's a hatchling. Thank you he is even cuter in real life!

Status
Not open for further replies.