New to this place

Harry's Mom

Hi all,
I live in Virginia, US. Bought Harriet (but we call her Harry) 3 yr ago, a Russian tortoise. And nope, the vet I took her to looked in her books for information.
So, she is living in a "reptile palace", yes I spent alot on it. Don't have space to build one larger at this time.
Hoping to keep her happy and healthy, with info from you all,
Diane (Harry's Mom)

IMG_0005.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Diane, and welcome to the Forum!

You may not like it, because it's messy, but Russian tortoises need to be able to dig into their substrate. Also, it's not good for their hips to have to try to get traction walking on a smooth surface. A lot of us here on the Forum use coco coir. It comes in a compressed brick and you soak it in a bucket of water to get it to fall apart. And some of us use orchid bark. But he really needs substrate. Or rather I should say "she".

Harry's a pretty nice-looking little Russian.

Harry's Mom

You may not like it, because it's messy, but Russian tortoises need to be able to dig into their substrate. Also, it's not good for their hips to have to try to get traction walking on a smooth surface. A lot of us here on the Forum use coco coir. It comes in a compressed brick and you soak it in a bucket of water to get it to fall apart. And some of us use orchid bark. But he really needs substrate. Or rather I should say "she".

Hi,
Yes, I realized that as soon as I saw my own picture. I have coco, spent the past few hours fixing it for Harry.
Thanks!
Diane (and Harry)

Harry's Mom

Hi,
Yes, I realized that as soon as I saw my own picture. I have coco, spent the past few hours fixing it for Harry.
Thanks!
Diane (and Harry)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Hello and welcome to you Diane and Harry!