new to the tortoise world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle20

5 Year Member
We are new and have not gotten our tort yet. I am wanting to do all the research before hand we are looking to be getting one next year so I have an entire year to create his/hers stomping grounds. We are looking to get a sulcata tortoise. So far everything I read they are pretty difficult to manage needing special heat and one site I read they said no fruits or veggies only grass and weeds which I knew that but not the veggie thing is this true or is it only in moderation. Also we live in arizona which is close to the Sahara desert in temperature (at least it feels like it) :p so we do live in the perfect place for the sulcata but it is the winters I'm worried about. What have you found to be the best way to build a home for them once they live outside? Are there any books that are better than others to help us along.
I'm a vet tech so I have all the medical help needed to keep them healthy. But I need help from you guys that have had the experience with the tortoise. I'm only small animal. But I have a great exotic vet that we go to. He sent me here to see what others have to say. Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) please read Toms threads below in my post on raising a sulcata. Then also look up his other threads, he has many that may be helpful in your research.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum ….. You will find a wealth of knowledge in here first hand as well as a great group of folks talking torts. Sit back enjoy and let the fun begin!
JD~:)

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi and welcome :) I live in AZ as well. When it comes to housing a sulcata outdoors we have the weather on our side most of the year, minus this crazy heat and the months that are the coldest for us. I built a very large "tortoise house" out of wood for him to sleep in during the winter and have a heat lamp when needed. He is 55+lbs and has the whole yard to roam. Your outdoor enclosure will obviously need to be more secure so you don't lose the little one. If you look on the "enclosure" section of this forum there are a lot of good ideas when it comes to outdoor enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle:

Welcome to the Forum!

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Hi, and Welcome!! You can find lots of info here. For more specialized on sulcatas, go to Tortoise Topics>Breed Specific>African Torts>Sulcata/African Spur Thigh. Good luck, I'm also still researching for a Burmese star to get one. You'll meet lots of knowledgeable people and reputable breeders on the forum :)

zman7590

5 Year Member
Michelle20 said:
We are new and have not gotten our tort yet. I am wanting to do all the research before hand we are looking to be getting one next year so I have an entire year to create his/hers stomping grounds. We are looking to get a sulcata tortoise. So far everything I read they are pretty difficult to manage needing special heat and one site I read they said no fruits or veggies only grass and weeds which I knew that but not the veggie thing is this true or is it only in moderation. Also we live in arizona which is close to the Sahara desert in temperature (at least it feels like it) :p so we do live in the perfect place for the sulcata but it is the winters I'm worried about. What have you found to be the best way to build a home for them once they live outside? Are there any books that are better than others to help us along.
I'm a vet tech so I have all the medical help needed to keep them healthy. But I need help from you guys that have had the experience with the tortoise. I'm only small animal. But I have a great exotic vet that we go to. He sent me here to see what others have to say. Thank you

welcome! :D

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Michelle and Welcome to TFO !! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.