New to the Tortoise world

Milwaukeethetort

Location (City and/or State)
Miami Florida
Good Morning everyone,
I am new to this and only want the best for my little tort Milwaukee. We have had him for almost about a month and bought it from a tortoise breeder up in West Palm Beach. We originally bought him a tortoise house, but within a week and a half we learned that was not the right route. We were spraying every hour trying to keep humidity up but figured that wasn’t sustainable. We ultimately got an enclosure in which I sealed the top of. Humidity is finally leveling out and sustaining where it should be. We did notice when we got him he seems to have two dimples in the front of his shell by his front legs. We’ve been feeding him Forrest blend tortoise food pellets from zoomed and fruits. He doesn’t seem to like the leafy greens like hibiscus leaves. And he is constantly looking for fruit. I try to give him a fruit once every three days. He does enjoy cactus pad however. I’m more worried about his health and pyramiding and want to know if he looks healthy to you guys the experts. Humidity was originally my main concern, but now I’m focusing on temp seeing as I have one 65 watt bulb which was fine in terms of keeping his favorite hide at around 81 degrees but the other side of the enclosure is a bit colder in the high 70’s. I added a 100w heat emitter to the other side but now seems to get the enclosure past 87 degrees.

Sorry for the Information dump. I know I’m all over the place on this post. Just want to make sure I’m giving this little dude the best life. Thanks in advanced
img_2893-jpeg.369732
IMG_2859.jpegIMG_2858.jpegIMG_2872.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2893.jpeg
    IMG_2893.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. @ZEROPILOT will be able to help you. Cute tortoise

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

He is a cute guy (or girl, it's early to tell). So far, you are doing a great job of caring for him.

Just a few suggestions:
1. Use the terracotta saucer as the water dish. He needs clean fresh water available all the time (I see food leftovers in the dish on the last photo, but maybe it's actually a water dish :) )
2. Just in case, you need to pour water in substrate, not to spray it. This helps to maintain humidity and keep top substrate layer dry, which is important to prevent shell fungus. You might also close the vents on the side of the enclosure to keep heat and humidity (bottom one or two vents can be left open).
3. Ceramic heat emitter should be on thermostat to maintain constant ambient temperature day and night.
4. I would add some live plants to make him feel more secure. Or artificial plants (but keep them out of his reach).
5. What UVB lamp do you use?

Diet:
1. Leafy greens such as hibiscus leaves are essential source of fiber for him. So continue to offer. Start with a small amount - like a leaf or two, finely chopped and mixed with mushed pellets or fruit.
2. Redfoots also need some animal protein once or two times a week. "Head-sized" chunk of boiled chicken breast, shrimp, mealworms/waxworms or other invertebrates, hard boiled egg and such.
3. Pellets aren't good as a staple food, but is a good supplement - 1-3 times a week. Also, a small pinch of calcium powder 1-2 times a week will be nice.

Feel free to ask all questions you have!

Milwaukeethetort

Miami Florida
Hello and welcome!

He is a cute guy (or girl, it's early to tell). So far, you are doing a great job of caring for him.

Just a few suggestions:
1. Use the terracotta saucer as the water dish. He needs clean fresh water available all the time (I see food leftovers in the dish on the last photo, but maybe it's actually a water dish :) )
2. Just in case, you need to pour water in substrate, not to spray it. This helps to maintain humidity and keep top substrate layer dry, which is important to prevent shell fungus. You might also close the vents on the side of the enclosure to keep heat and humidity (bottom one or two vents can be left open).
3. Ceramic heat emitter should be on thermostat to maintain constant ambient temperature day and night.
4. I would add some live plants to make him feel more secure. Or artificial plants (but keep them out of his reach).
5. What UVB lamp do you use?

Diet:
1. Leafy greens such as hibiscus leaves are essential source of fiber for him. So continue to offer. Start with a small amount - like a leaf or two, finely chopped and mixed with mushed pellets or fruit.
2. Redfoots also need some animal protein once or two times a week. "Head-sized" chunk of boiled chicken breast, shrimp, mealworms/waxworms or other invertebrates, hard boiled egg and such.
3. Pellets aren't good as a staple food, but is a good supplement - 1-3 times a week. Also, a small pinch of calcium powder 1-2 times a week will be nice.

Feel free to ask all questions you have!
I have a Giangarden T5 HO uvb 24w

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm south of you in Broward county.
Did you buy him/her from our fellow member @Southernreptiles ?
If so, he was started correctly.
Pellets and fruit aren't much of a menu selection. Continue to offer different foods and back off on that a bit. Try mushrooms, kale, turnip greens, broccoli rabe, romaine, hibiscus flowers and I highly recommend going into an Indian grocery. Such as Patel Brothers, that are scattered all over South Florida and check out their selection of leafy vegetables. The Indian diet is pretty exclusively plant based. And you'll find things there that are inexpensive and a Redfoot will eat.
As for your other issue.....Humidity. you need it over 70% 24/7. The easiest way is to close off most of the top of your enclosure.
Search CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES and get some ideas. You'll soon need something much larger. So don't spend a lot of money modifying that aquarium.
Also, do you have an area outside for an enclosure for next year?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Milwaukeethetort

Miami Florida
Ye
I'm south of you in Broward county.
Did you buy him/her from our fellow member @Southernreptiles ?
If so, he was started correctly.
Pellets and fruit aren't much of a menu selection. Continue to offer different foods and back off on that a bit. Try mushrooms, kale, turnip greens, broccoli rabe, romaine, hibiscus flowers and I highly recommend going into an Indian grocery. Such as Patel Brothers, that are scattered all over South Florida and check out their selection of leafy vegetables. The Indian diet is pretty exclusively plant based. And you'll find things there that are inexpensive and a Redfoot will eat.
As for your other issue.....Humidity. you need it over 70% 24/7. The easiest way is to close off most of the top of your enclosure.
Search CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES and get some ideas. You'll soon need something much larger. So don't spend a lot of money modifying that aquarium.
Also, do you have an area outside for an enclosure for next year?

Milwaukeethetort

Miami Florida
Thank you and yes, I got the tortoise from southern reptiles, I live down here in Miami. And I do plan on an outdoor enclosure in the future. But I was under the impression the 4x2 would be good for about a year or two. As for the top, I closed it off using corrugated plastic as I found some for free and has so far held humidity rather well. Tort seems happy with it.

Milwaukeethetort

Miami Florida

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a few REPTISUN T5 HO UVB strip florescent fixtures with Redfoot compatible tubes if you need one.
But you'd have to come get it.
Send me a PM if so